London restaurant recommendation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Moderator emeritus

Can anyone personally recommend some really nice places to eat in central London?

Ideally, I'm looking for a place to celebrate some extremely good news... not a bar that does food. Don't mind spending up to £35 for mains etc.

Thanks
    BV

2. dcv
    macrumors G3

Any particular cuisine in mind? Any particular part of town?

(dare we ask about the extremely good news? ;) )

3. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Like Indian?

The Red Fort was AWESOME.

The bar downstairs was a little silly, but hey.. I'm old.

4. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    J Sheekey's just off St Martin's Lane... fabulous food (fish particularly) and atmosphere and a top hatted doorman. You would have to book.

If you can do during the week or lunch, then you could try getting into Gordon Ramsay's on Royal Hospital Road. I managed to get a table for 3 weeks ahead through Toptable for a Monday lunch - £45 for 3 courses or £90 for the 7 course tasting menu.

If you fancy Thai, Sri Siam on Old Compton Street is lovely.

5. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Anywhere between Liverpool St. and Kensington, don't mind south of the river if it's handy to the tube.

Cuisine? Any really... am interested in all replies, but would prefer somewhere where I can get a table within the next 6-8 weeks.

If the Ivy wasn't so over-rated, then that would be a contender. Looking for somewhere special for a special evening for two (not romance, unfortunately).

6. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Big career/money boost. Want to thank the person who made it happen. :)

7. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Congrats BV! But it was all in a day's work..

8. macrumors G4

I really like the Cinnamon Club behind Westminster Abbey. It's Indian based cuisine, but not like the standard Indian restaurant fare.

Here's some info

9. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hmmm...depends on what price range your talking about, as well as what cuisine. I always look for the cheaper end of the scale because when you pay above a certain amount, the increase in quality is often barely noticable.

For Japanese, there's Satsuma in Soho, which is absolutely gorgeous. For Chinese, if you're really looking at the cheap end, CCK in Chinatown does a fantastic buffet for the price. Stockpot is always good for good ol' stodgy English food (good price too). There's a Morrocan restauarant near Panton Street Odeon which I can't remember the name of (I'm sure you'd find it on google), but it was an absolutely beautiful place with great food.

If you're looking for American food, Ed's just off Leicester Square is amazing. The best burger in London! And gorgeous milkshakes!

Mmmm...this is making me hungry :p

10. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Sounds like you're looking for somewhere fancy then. Ignore my suggestions as all my knowledge of London comes out of the Time Out Cheap Eats guide (a bible for people like me with no money :eek: )

11. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Somewhere special. Don't mind spending £150-250 on the evening for two incl. wine. It's a pretty big deal (to me, at least).

12. dcv
    macrumors G3

Is the City any good to you? I can recommend Coq D'Argent (it's just above Bank at No.1 Poultry), the service is great and they have a nice rooftop garden, perfect for summer. Fairly pricey but not extortionate... I had my work leaving drinks/lunch there a couple of years ago and my bar bill was huge!

Le Pont de la Tour at Butlers Wharf is also very nice. Can be a little stuffy though, filled with old City suits.

Oh Congratulations! :)

13. macrumors 68000

lexus

Cipriani
    Zuma
    The Chinese place in The Dorchester
    One of the two Nobu's
    Lots of other great places.

14. macrumors 603

gekko513

The only restaurant I've been to in London is the one you and Applespider took me to, so I don't have any other recommendations. :) I'd still like to congratulate you on making a big career/money boost. Well done. I'm happy for you.

15. macrumors G4

skunk

Congratulations on your apotheosis! We hardly ever do restaurants, certainly no further east than Chelsea anyway, so I can't really help there.

16. thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks! I had a hunch a couple of weeks ago hence the spontaneous iPod HiFi at the picnic... :D

Thanks for all suggestions so far. I'll look into all of them in detail later tonight after the football.

17. macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

BV, trust me on this one like you've never trusted anyone else before! The absolute best place you will EVER go to for a special dinner is Le Cafe Du Marche just off Charterhouse Square (near St Bart's and Smithfield Market). The food is awesome (you must have their speciality starter, the fish soup), the staff authentic French, the surroundings stunning (stripped brick walls) and, most times, there is a pianist comes in to play either classic or gentle jazz. It is THE best (obviously, in my own opinion) restaurant in the UK I have been to. Average price for two that I have paid (hmmm - too often) is £90. So well worth it.

Followed closely by RSJ's in Coin Street, near Waterloo Station (gets a load of MPs in for dinner). Different, much more subdued and starched table linen, but as a for instance, they have about 20 different Sancerres on the wine list.

Whatever, enjoy your triumphal dinner and ---- will you let us know where you went and what it was like?

Bon appetit! :)

18. macrumors 603

gekko513

How do you know it's the climax (I had to look up the word). There could be even bigger and better career/money boosts waiting for her. ;)

19. macrumors G4

skunk

Nothing final there, just a major step careerwise. Long may it continue!

20. dcv
    macrumors G3

Oh Smithfields... that's just reminded me of another couple of good places: Smith's of Smithfield and the Bleeding Heart.

21. macrumors 603

gekko513

Ah, OK, I'll drink to that then.

Long may it continue!

22. macrumors G4

Ooh promotion. I missed that earlier whilst constructing my post. Congratulations BV.

I'll second DCV's recommendation of Coq D'Argent too. It's a similar menu to Quaglino's, but far less noisy whilst you're eating.

And if you're more into the Bohemian effect, go for Andrew Edmonds on Lexington St. in Soho. Great wine cellar.

23. macrumors G4

Mord

this is probably not suitable but i'll say it anyway, but theirs a really nice vietnamese place on the harrow road around wilsden junction, it really kicks so much ass, fairly cheap and much nicer than more expencive places, with a party of 6 or so you'll spend about 70 quid or so.

24. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can't suggest a single London eatery, but that's not going to stop me congratulating you on your good news, BV. Well done – I've no doubt it's well earned. :)

25. macrumors 68000

lexus

Oops I forgot my new favorite. Le Relais de Venise, L'entrecote.

Absolutely amazing.