Londoners: Is it just me...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Queso macrumors G4

..or does London seem sort of empty at the moment to everyone else? I keep expecting to see tumbleweed. Where the Hell is everyone?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sitting at their computers posting on MacRumors? I know I am.

Mind you, I haven't actually been into town for a week, apart from my epic journey to Tottenham last night.

3. dcv macrumors G3

Have you been to Oxford Street recently? :eek: It's not empty there!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Me too. Although looking around me there are a lot of empty desks. I work on a team of 8 people. There are 4 of us in today. We have desks arranged in "quads". I am the only one in mine. The one next to me (a different team) has 1 person too. It's so quiet!

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well I was in Covent garden on Saturday and they had to close the tube station, just to many people for them to handle.Mind you I've retired to the country to avoid the excess's of Xmas now.

6. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

That can't be it. Forum Spy isn't exactly jumping down the screen. :confused:

I guess I'm just worried bird flu struck and nobody told me.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

HA, really! This is the place where people who can't walk or behave properly go to shop in droves! CRIKEY! [​IMG]

that said, I haven't even left the house today yet so I'm contributing (albeit very minor) to the emptiness I suppose.

8. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Maybe that's it, everyone's Christmas shopping on Oxford St.

That's if they aren't still waiting for Covent Garden Tube to open :D

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sob.... I have to go to Oxford St tonight... since I can't find the damned PJs that Mum's asked Santa in any other branch of M&S. I'm dreading it since I find it hell in February let alone December... :(

But yes, it does feel suspiciously quiet... there are a lot of people online ordering this year (but the f'in PJs aren't in stock there either)

10. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

They're certainly not in Rickmansworth, which is where I've been stuck for the last 2 weeks.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hey, check if the Lakeside M&S has them, if so I could pick them up for you. I'll probably be going down there tomorrow and if not then definitely on Saturday. (a thought)

12. dcv macrumors G3

This is also the time of year when people decide to throw themselves under tube trains :mad: I was delayed on the Central line twice last week; one day it was a person under a train at Bethnal Green, the other time it was at Bond Street. Selfish twunts.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Shivers...

The worst hangout of Chavs and other lowlifes I've ever had the misfortune of visiting. It's horrible bordering on criminally unpleasant. Go to Bluewater. It's still a shopping centre so nasty but in a much more low level way (and it's got an Apple store).

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

OMG yes! this pisses me off to no end (as you've heard plenty previously) There should be a separate torturous place in hell for those selfish twunts. Grrrrrrr!

yes, tis true. I don't want to go quite THAT far though just to avoid a few dumbass chavs. Plus it's where IKEA is. :p

15. Case-sensitive macrumors member

It's that time of year when some people feel more alone than ever and finally decide to give up.

16. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

And on that cheery note I have to say it feels like half of London is in my hospital.
    How very dare people get ill :mad:

:D

Can't say I've noticed the quietness myself, but I have been doing my shopping in the less busy sections of the Capital. There is no way on this earth that I'd be going to Oxford Street. I don't love anyone that much :p

Good luck AS you're a braver person that I...

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thought the tube has been very very hectic over the past few days going to and fro... office here is much the same although lots of people are starting their leave this Friday. Not me though... Sloane Sq/Kings Rd. is anything but empty.

18. Case-sensitive macrumors member

Middle classes should stick to their own eh?

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Perhaps. I think it's the lack of manners, general courtesy to you fellow human beings and awareness of their surroundings that makes the average person in Bluewater something I find it difficult to get with.

You'll be calling be Elitist next ;)

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

shouldn't you be happy that you get to be there in peace and quiet to "work" (aka post on here)?

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's my "local" IKEA too, although technically that's beside Lakeside, not in Lakeside itself (which is basically just the big connected shopping centre bit). Depending on what you want you might want to check out ILVA too. It's in the same extended shopping bit, a bit like IKEA, but a bit different and not as well known yet. I had a look round there recently when I wanted a wardrobe and was impressed with it (apart from the wardrobes so I want back to IKEA).

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suppose so. I am trying to work too...

23. Case-sensitive macrumors member

I have the same problem on the tubes, on the streets, in fact everywhere in london.

Me call you elitist? Would I .... :D

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

ok sure but what's the matter with giving up in a way that doesn't cause so many problems for a bunch of innocent travelers with their own problems? but then, i'm also a bit selfish, i don't like blowing £50 on taxi rides home when someone does this late at night and no one can get home on the tube. call me crazy but i think it's an all around bad way to go.

edit: this was supposed to sound much more lighthearted than it does but that's a tough topic to pull off "lighthearted" with. apologies.