Long file names

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by devost, May 12, 2003.

1. devost macrumors newbie

All,

I've recently decided to switch my primary laptop to a Mac. So far, I couldn't be happier with the decision and if things go well, I will move to Mac on the desktop as well (though I will never completely replace all my Windows boxes as I need special applications on the such as Groove and use them for testing).

However, I have one gripe/question. When working with word/excel/powerpoint documents, I like to use LONG file names. Every time I do so, I encounter and error that says select a file name less that 31 characters.

Is there a way around this? It is very frustrating as I am literally reliant on longer file names. I know they are supported within the OS as my files that I moved from Windows can display a long file name.

Is there something I am missing or some genuine Mac hint one of you experts can provide?

I've been using the Mac for about 2 months and will work on my own switch story, which make a pretty strong case for moving to Mac.

Thanks...

Matt

2. Moe macrumors regular

From what I understand that's a trait of applications that were carbonized from the OS9 versions and applications written with cocoa for OS X don't have this limitation. Someone correct me if that's wrong. I'm sure not a Mac expert... just someone probably switching for the 2nd time.

3. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's true. It's a holdover in the code from when the OS couldn't handle long filenames. The developers could fix it, but hey, this is Microsoft, and we're Apple users, so why bother.

If you save the files with short names in Word, you can rename them with long names in the Finder. When you open them in Word, they'll be truncated, but they should stay looking right in the Finder.

4. devost thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't you know it

My biggest issue with the Mac, is a Microsoft issue!

Unfortunately, I can't do without Office so I am appreciative it is available. I just wish they would allow long file names!

Matt

5. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Well, now you're in the same boat as the rest of us, having to wait patiently for a beautiful, cocoalicious, fast, elegant, Apple-made office suite that will enable us to completely break free from MS. Here's to hoping it's a short wait!