Long life to Pismos... new 32 Video ram card!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mymemory, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The sun is shining again, look at THIS .

It is a PCMCIA type 2 card for PC and Macs. It had DVI connector only with 32 MB of Ram. It cost $249.

For me is such good news because I have 2 Pismos G3 500 right now. I was updating the ram to 768 MB and adding one airport card to each.

I was very concerned about the video ram because I only have 8MB soldered.

In my case, as a VJ, I still need a card just like that with s-video output but we are getting closer to that day looks like.

The other choice I have to make is choosing the G3 900 processor upgrade or the G4 500. The G3 900 have better reviews than the G4.

Any way, the Pismo line still rock for another year looks like. This copmputer is not giving up. :D

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that is an amazing jump from 8 mb soldered video ram to 32 mb of video ram

you will have an incredible boost there

and they have 900 mhz G3 replacement mobile cpu's for the pismo? that too, is an amazing lease on life for your machine...if you can stand being without G4's altivec, you may get a total of five years from those laptops

my ibook is four years old next month and since i use it for internet, email, word processing, coding, and light photoshop with photoshop 5.5 (as the top program installed in this machine), i could conceivably get one more year from this laptop if all the components hold together...he he

i have a dual 500 powermac and in some ways, i don't notice the speed difference but if i did the photoshop stuff on 5.5 side by side, i know i would surely notice a major difference since photoshop 5.5 utilizes both processors...if i get os x on that machine, then the G4's altivec will help with the overall speed of navigating through os x

do you use os x on your pismo? or are you an os 9 fan like me?

3. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have one with OSX and the otherone with 9. Of course I only use the one with OSX for iTunes and one other thing. My main computer is the one with 9.

The lack of video ram makes OSX run very slow and for what? I have more softwares under 9 already. But I have the OSX to stay in contact with it, I know eventually I will be forced to make the jump for good, but no any time soon.

4. Moo-Boo macrumors regular

Moo-Boo

Please forgive my relative ignorance in this area, but, will this 32mb card allow for higher end gaming through must faster graphics acceleration? If so, it will make a heck of a lot of people very happy indeed!

Matt

5. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Though it will certainly help gaming, it by no means will allow for "higher end gaming," as, while it's an improvement, the Pismo line is already far too slow for gaming. You can't get "higher end gaming" on anything but high end new laptop right now.

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Forgive my ignorence and the move off topic here, but I want to make sure I know which computer you guys are talking about. Is this the last of the black plastic skinned powerbooks with firewire, or are the Pismos older than that?

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea there the last of the black plastic powerbooks, the tibooks were introduced afterwards

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Yes, last G3 PowerBook, introduced in 2000. I think it ran 400/500 mhz and was the first PowerBook to replace SCSI with FireWire I believe. Also first PowerBook to come Airport-ready. Don't think it takes Airport Extreme internally though. Same form factor as last model Lombard (333/400 mhz) but was really powerful for its time and considered by many to be one of the best computers Apple has ever produced.

9. wide macrumors 6502a