long login

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mmmdreg, May 26, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

When I log in (admin), any application I try to open straight away takes like over 60 bounces! I have this program (Launch) for connecting to cable internet here in Australia and I usually open that with mail and proteus at the same time...the launch takes ages to bounce open so the other two are just waiting for it to connect before they display anything (although they've stopped bouncing)...I emailed the maker of launch and he said there was nothing like that...so I tried opening something else straight away (terminal)...that took ages as well...whats te deal?

2. stromie952 macrumors regular

I don't know what causes it, but I have had the same problem on many occasions on my iBook 500.

But, I haven't had probmes on a Quicksilver 733 with it.

So, you aren't alone in the quest for answers....

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't know that i've had the problem to that extreme.

but i too have noticed that the first app to be opened takes much much longer than the others, and much longer than it should..

however, since i dno't restart too often, it's not a big deal to me...

anyone know why this is?

4. blogo macrumors 6502

The mac has to load all the startup items, and if you have enabled filesharing, it has to start that too

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

After login, the Mac has to load all extensions and user prefs and tons of other stuff. If you give it a minute to load all that, you shouldn't have any speed problems (At least not to that extreme)

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, and if Classic's enabled to start up on startup, that's a bear too! Takes much longer than usual. Half the time I end up force quitting it because it takes so dang long while it's trying to chew on everything else at the same time. Unfortunately for me I don't have the option of putting my computer to sleep like the newer PowerMacs, since my fan never turns off.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you wait for your hard drive to stop crunching on startup, applications will load faster. Which version of OS X are you running??? If you are not running 10.1.4, then update. As mentioned above, don't have classic launch when you startup, and disable file sharing. Don't have any extra applications launch at startup, that will bog down your system.

When was the last time you ran utilities on your system. If you never have, do so. I KNOW that systems that come right from Apple have severe fragmentation on the drives. I know this because my new TiBook did before I installed ANY software on it. After you optimize your hard drive, things should load faster.

8. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I don't have any utililities for defragging...are there any free ones around?

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not that are worth anything... Bite the bullet and get NSW. I hope you have NAV, or some antivirus software, on your computer.