Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chadd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
I've been getting consistently long shutdown times on my 2009 Mac Pro (10.8.5) of around 40 seconds and I'm trying to speed them up. The boot drive is a new Samsung SSD (30% full, 70% free space) on a OWC PCIe adapter. I'm getting read/write speeds above 400MBs, so it's not a slow drive. I've done a bit of research and here's what I've tried so far:

1. Disconnecting all peripherals except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.
2. Turning Bluetooth off.
3. Quitting all open applications before shutting down.
4. Repairing the boot drive and repairing permissions while in Recovery Mode.
5. Resetting PRAM and SMC
6. Shutting down with "Reopen windows when logging..." checked, turning it on, then shutting down with "Reopen windows when logging..." unchecked.

7. Resetting the root directory ownership with the following Terminal commands:
sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

8. Reducing process timeouts to 5 seconds with the following Terminal commands:
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 5

9. Moving the boot drive from a 2008 Mac Pro to a 2009 Mac Pro (flashed to 5,1 to support a 12-core processor upgrade)

None of theses things had any effect on shutdown times, which remained at around 40 seconds every time I tried something. Any ideas what I could try next?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.