Long SMS messages are cut off!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeCuse44, Dec 11, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Whenever I receive a long SMS from somebody that should be split in to 2 messages, I just receive one and it is cut off. What is up with this?

2. macrumors 68040

abijnk

I have that problem sending. I go over 160 characters and the person never gets the second half. I wonder if it is a carrier specific thing?

3. macrumors 68030

bradl

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with how SMS is implemented.

This happened to me when I was on an old Cingular 8125 PDAphone that ran Windows Mobile. When it went over 160 characters, the rest came in on a second SMS message. If the one I was sending exceeded 160 characters, it sent the rest in a separate message.

So this may be a bug. Which firmware was this on, and did it happen in previous versions?

BL.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I got my iPhone on Nov 6 and I believe 2 days later Apple released the newest firmware upgrade which I obviously installed. I can only say it has happened on the newest software.

5. macrumors 68030

bradl

So this at least happens on 2.2. If it did not happened on 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, or 2.1, then there is definitely a bug in the latest update.

BL.

6. macrumors regular

Never happened to me but then I'm texting ATT to ATT though my GF doesn't have an iPhone she does get the whole thing.

7. macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm texting AT&T to Verizon when this happens.

OP, are you trying ot receive from multiple carriers when this happens or just from AT&T, etc?

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

When I receive a long text from anyone. Verizon, AT&T, doesn't matter.

9. macrumors 68030

bradl

Same was with me on the WinMobile phone, and that was to ATT, TMobile, Telstra, Optus, and Vodafone.

So there seems to be a 160 character limit across the board. The problem is if those characters after that are received or not.

BL.

10. macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I think it's a carrier issue.
    I've had this problem with 1 network before here in Ireland. But after switching to o2 I've never had the problem.

11. macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's definitely a carrier issue. Many people I know who have at&t have had issues receiving texts, them being cut off, making calls...

The network has gotten ****** of late.

12. macrumors 68030

bradl

If it is a carrier thing, then I seriously doubt it has anything to do with ATT, but in fact all carriers, which is why I mentioned that it may have to do with how SMS is handled throughout any given network.

Beforehand, I would have said it was something with ATT, but that aforementioned message to a friend on Optus in Australia. They visited here (Sacramento) last year, and if I hadn't been sitting next to them sending them a text message that was some 230something characters, saw it get split in two and sent as two messages, and had an equal sized reply sent back as two separate messages, I would have said that it had to do with ATT (that was who I was with at the time).

It isn't just ATT, everyone. This happens across the board on every network, or should be. My point is that if this worked in previous firmware releases (getting them split into two messages) and it doesn't now, there is a bug in the current firmware for the iPhone. So before blaming the network, let's see if it is the iPhone first.

BL.

13. macrumors 6502

it's the sms standard
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

14. macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Very oddly, my gf's iPhone 3G (2.2) cant send sms's >160 characters to BB's. only BB's. All other mobile devices can receive the full sms, be it in a single or multiple receipt. Did a restore and re-sync multiple times but the problem persisted. We did not roll back to 2.1 or 2.0.X though to try it out. She exchanged the iPhone, and presto the problem no longer occured.

15. macrumors 68030

bradl

Thanks for the link.

So there you have it. So now the question is, is the OP's second half of the message coming in? If not, bug in 2.2. Are they coming in on non-firmware 2.2 iPhones? If so, bug in 2.2.

BL.

16. macrumors member

It happens to me all the time and I am still running firmware 2.1 so my guess is that it's a carrier thing.

17. macrumors 68030

bradl

Which part: the text message being cut off and not getting the second half of it, or being able to get both parts of the message in 2.1?

BL.

18. macrumors member

I'm getting both parts alright. Sometimes time-reversed :confused:
    And when I'm sending a long SMS the receiver gets it split. Always no matter who the carrier is.

19. macrumors 68030

bradl

Okay.. This makes me think that in 2.1, you're getting both texts if the entire message is longer than 160 characters. So we go back to if we are getting both texts in 2.2. If we aren't, there's the bug.

BL.

20. macrumors G5

Consultant

I would imagine that it's the sender's phone or carrier that has to split up the message.

21. macrumors 68030

bradl

For the record, I just received a few SMS messages from Optus last night, with two of them over 160 characters. They were split into two messages, and I received both.

This is on Firmware 2.2.

BL.