Long startup time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Crashmaster007, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Crashmaster007 macrumors newbie

My new MacBook seems to start a lot slower than it used to. It used to go right to the screen with the apple, then into the OSX loading thing nice and fast. Now it hangs on a screen before the one that has the apple for a while. This screen is pure white. Then it goes to the apple one for longer than normal and then onto the osx loading which is nice and short. Now I understand that installing new apps will slow a computer, but this seems abnormal. I also uninstalled my 2 most recently installed apps, in case it was them. Any help is welcome, thanks.

PS: Keep in mind I'm new to the world of OS X.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Almost no application that you install should have any substantial impact on boot time at least until after you reach the login screen and login. There's nothing they can be doing at that point.

What have you done exactly? Some specifics....

1) Can you actually time it? What do you mean by a little bit of time on this screen, a lot of time on that screen? Time in seconds how long it takes from pressing the power button to getting the login screen (just do that one time).

2) Have you installed any utility or application designed to modify system behavior -- any kernel extensions, anything that changes any basic aspect of OS X like the look and feel, etc -- or are you just installing normal user applications?

3) Did this happen once or many times? It's normal that if you do a system update or security update (anything that installs from the Software Update system built into OS X that requires a reboot), then the first boot after that will be very slow.

4) Do you have bootcamp (to use Windows) installed?

5) Are there any bluetooth keyboards near your computer?

3. Crashmaster007 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. I will time it later, but it is semi significant, at least twice as long as normal for the whole thing, maybe longer. I will try to time it soon.
    2. I am just using normal user apps.
    3. This has happened the last 4 times i have started up.
    4. I had bootcamp installed to try it out, but uninstalled it. I had normal rebooting after that. Though it may be because of this.
    5. I have nothing that is bluetooth nearby or turned on.

4. Crashmaster007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed the problem. I had to go to system preferences- startup disk and reselect and restart with the OS X volume. Such an easy fix.