Long USB Cable or Bluetooth Printer? Help Please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DEXTERITY, Jan 18, 2007.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I hope someone can please help me with this. Long story short. I have a G5 and a G4. I use my G5 on a regular basis but print via my G4 because I don't have any room for the printer where the G5 is located in my studio.

My G4 crapped out on me. So now the printer no longer shows up on my G5 since I can't get it to turn on.

Can anyone suggest a bluetooth printer? I have the Epson R300 but can't find the bluetooth adaptor anywhere. I have a feeling even if I did the quality or speed wouldn't be the same.

So If I can find a good bluetooth printer I would be happy. OR and I'm not sure if this is possible, does anyone make a 40 or 50 ft long usb cable? I'm not sure if I would suffer any speed drops by using something that long, but at least the cable could run from my usb hub which is in the other room (and the printer is plugged into) all the way to my G5.

I would greatly appreciate anyones help. I can't print right now argh, lol.

thank you.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you have Airport on the G5 you could print via an Airport Express attached to the USB printer. It is not clear what kind of G5 you have.

3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a dual 2.0 G5. I have airport extreme (antenna pluged into the back of the G5) would that work and if so how?

edit: I assume printing via airport would be just as slow and offer a poor print quality similar to printing bluetooth? Does anyone make a long usb cord?

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its not going to give you poor print quality, speed is the only thing that may be affected. But I think both wireless G and bluetooth are fast enough for printing. I don't think the USB standard allows USB to reach that long.

5. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply. so how exactly do I get airport to work or what do I need? I can't seem to find a good bluetooth printer..

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You'll either need a printer with WiFi built in (HP has a model for about $150), or you'll need to buy an Apple Wireless Base Station (if you don't already have one).

7. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

my epson R300 I believe has a bluetooth adaptor that can be used with it but no one has it anymore.. if I get the base station do I just plug it into the other printer? I guess my issue is that printer is in another room plugged into another computer which will no longer come on. will the base station way still work in that current situation?

. in the time being i'm checking out the Hp.. thanks

edit. do u think it is quicker to have the printer with the wi fi/net work adaptor or will printing be just as fast using the base station?

edit 2. damn questions, lol. if i get the base station which I very well may do (thanks for the suggestion), does it matter if I buy the old one? I can't wait until february but I don't want to screw myself either. I have 10.3.9 and I do plan on upgrading eventually. but I can buy another one at that time if need be.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If space or location isn't an issue, I would just buy an AirPort Express and use your current USB printer.

...And yes, it's as simple as plugging your printer into the Airport Express. :)