Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OhioLefty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Where can I purchase a longer length working Lightning cable (if it exists)? The cable that came with my iPad 4 is just not long enough for me. Are there any reputable (working) 3rd party vendors selling 6ft or 10ft cables with the authentication chip?

Thanks in advance...

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Have you ruled out a simpler, cheaper, USB extension cable?

Regards,
Tom

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm absolutely convinced people in this situation just don't know about USB extension cords or how they work.

They also cost 2-3 bucks and can turn it into a 10ft cable when NEEDED and revert back to short when not.

It's actually BETTER in almost every respect (you can even buy a white one lol...).

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I'm absolutely convinced people in this situation just don't know about USB extension cords or how they work.

They also cost 2-3 bucks and can turn it into a 10ft cable when NEEDED and revert back to short when not.

Beware that I have came across a few USB extension cables that would work fine for everything else but the iPad would say not charging even when using the 10W adapter. I am aware that the iPad was still charging but at a lower rate. I never felt like investigating why it was happening.

It's actually BETTER in almost every respect
That is an opinion. I would much prefer a singe cable than two cables as would many others.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Beware that I have came across a few USB extension cables that would work fine for everything else but the iPad would say not charging even when using the 10W adapter. I am aware that the iPad was still charging but at a lower rate. I never felt like investigating why it was happening.

That is an opinion. I would much prefer a singe cable than two cables as would many others.

I have never experienced an issue with charging (using an official Apple brick, Apple cable, and extension...). Not saying it can't happen, but I've never seen it. I HAVE had issues charging with aftermarket "long" dock/sync cables (as many have).

And no, it's not "two cables" if you connect them... the fact that you can seperate them doesn't make it worse. By that logic, since I can take scissors to my one cable and cut it in 2, it's somehow "not as good".

You aren't toting 2 cables, you are toting one. It just happens to be joined at the usb port. Not sure why that's such an issue...

And the advantage is, if I DO want a shorter cable (and have one connected to an extension for example) I don't have to go running for a new cable from somewhere, I simply DISCONNECT it and VOILA, shorter cable.

It's better in almost every respect.

Until Apple releases an "official" longer cable, a longer "aftermarket" cable isn't any better than an extension. Many would argue it's worse (and less functional).

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
And no, it's not "two cables" if you connect them

It is two cables that are connected. Myself as well as many others would rather have a single cable rather than two cables that are joined together with a USB type-A plug. You may not care but lots of people do. I do not consider a USB extension cable to be a better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.