Longest. Load times. EVER.

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 26, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sat an waited the entire ....... minutes...

OMG that is dire. THQ should be shot.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Long load times when you're on the go is such a big no-no, but this was just plain ridiculous.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Damn right. I got a Jap psp at launch and Lumines & Darkstalkers have long load times, (so much so in te cas of lumines that I bought the UK release because they optimised loading).. But neither of those launch titles combined aproaches the load times on that Second Generation PSP game (after all it's been over a year since launch and at least 18-24 months in the hands of developers.

That has to be the most appauling load time ever - only slightly less annoying than trying to get a game on Call Od Duty 2 multiplayer on 360 :rolleyes:

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh you're all so new-skool ;)

Try Rise of the Robots on the Amiga. Intro animation on, 10 discs later... I think it took about 15 minutes to load.

6. garybUK Guest

garybUK

hahah remember the old Sinclair Spectrums ..... flashing colours and noises, could have a bath, your tea, a brew and it'd still be loading :D

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I used to have the old BBC computer - Elite on that is still one of my favourite games, but it took a good 8 minutes to load from the tape. :D

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

Oh wow. I thought it would be bad, but I had no idea it would be that bad...

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tape was bad, if you got the volume setting a bit wrong then it would fail and fail.... Worse titles were those that you played a level and then had start the tape again to load another level and if you died, you had to rewind and reload again and again... Aghhhhhhhhhhh :) :) :) :) :)

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Damn THQ...that was too freaking long. 6mins, i know i would be piss and throw the game away.

Bless

11. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Postal 2 can get pretty damn annoying... The load times aren't too bad, but there are so damn many!

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lara Croft: Angel of Darkness on Ps2 has same issue, oh and
    Pirates of the Caribbean on the Xbox......

Amazing that we see cartridges has archaic technology and yet its the only format with 0 load times..

14. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Bascicly it's like ram? I miss playing N64 when i was not even aware that game had to load until i got a xbox....

15. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Ahh. That is why fake wrestling sucks. I think THQ is trying to tell you something.

I have a PSP with FIFA 06' and GTA, both load fast, FIFA fastest.

On my old PC I would play BF 1942 with thr desert combat mode and I showered and ate breakfast between the time it took for me to join a game then load it.

That is horrible, the PSP is a new(ish) system and that is a new game, at least old systems have an excuse...

16. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Load Times... Yeah I remember the old Atari XE days, but is it me or was it my age or were the games just more fun back then? Anyway, these days most of the games have good graphics but actual game play plain simply sucks.

And load times are also the reason I am not a big fan of XBOX nor Playstation as some of the games have simply too ridiculous load times to the point where it takes out all the fun out of it and it just becomes frustrating. The only company that has it right is Nintendo where the actualgameplay is still the most enjoyable of them all gaming console IMO.

17. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

I use to do gaming testing at the THQ's Calabasas office, and this doesn't surprise me at all. At least not from THQ's side. But I'm appalled that Sony would "OK" that trash. The load time that is, not the game. It seems so off of Sony's "Standards and Practices".

The reason I say that about THQ is that they are almost notorious for crappy handneld games, and cheap licensing deals with cartoon shows. It's their (chessy) bread and butter. And it's their level. Their also known for last minute revisions, and pushing out buggy games for deadlines.

But none the less they've always felt like a half-assed testing house. I have at least 8 friends who all worked there and have formed the same opinion.

But then again, the good part about this is that none of us one the boards play restling games anyways, right. Were to busy restling with our vast emotional crevasses.

18. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

lol i also remember Daley Thompsons Decathlon, by Ocean. The Spectrum 128K release. Took around 15mins to load, still it was all in ram afterwards and no more tape stop|start like with the 48k version :rolleyes:

Strider

19. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

If you want load times, play Doom 3 on the Mac. It will take forever to load if your mac is not a high-performance g5.