Longhorn Exposé?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by age234, Jan 31, 2005.

1. age234 macrumors 6502

age234

Have you seen this? Looks like Longhorn's ripoff of Exposé. I hate to compliment them, but it is kinda cool. But, will the long (long, long) awaited Longhorn have the three different modes of Exposé, in addition to Command-Tab? We shall see. But, wasn't it the Windows crowd that was hissing at Apple when X first came out, saying, "why do you need that stupid eye candy?" Looks like Longhorn is up to it's neck in it.

And, according to this page there will be seven, count them, seven different kinds of Longhorn. The best version is now called "Longhorn 'Uber' Edition". *stifled laugh* Longhorn Uber Edition, huh? Wow. That must be some gooood stuff there. Sigh. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Last time I checked, it was spelled über, or at least ueber. Longhorn Over Edition, hmm? Wow. I can't wait for Tiger.

[edit]
    Looks like this news is almost a year old. Oh well. It was news to me.

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yes, those are from WinHec where MS clobered together a bunch of tech demos to show off Longhorn (windows drawing into 3-d planes etc). Most of that stuff, while interesting is not the real implemented "stuff." In other words at that time they weren't as far along they let on... I would say that with Tiger Apple is pretty far ahead of them, though MS can certanly reproduce alot of what apple has done.... we'll see!!:)

Oh and about the hissing, people only hiss at cool stuff because they don't have it.... remember the mouse (?) IT managers said the mac was a toy because it had one (!) now that they still use a one-button, they say thiers (2 button - which I am on the fence about) is better..... blah.

3. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

before you start bashing microsoft care to explain to me why it took apple over 4 years to get the side scrolling and tap zones set up there track pads
    http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/index.html

There is not a single thing that link that has not been on laptop with a track pad. Only reason I say 4 is I know for a fact that a laptop I got back in 2001 had all that in it.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I guess Apple was trying to figure out to use 2 fingers for scrolling rather than the solution that PC notebooks have on the side and bottom or a wheel near the buttons.

It does surprise me that this hardware solution has taken so long, rather odd. Seems like a gimmick to me to make the new PB updates seem worth it. :rolleyes: ;) :)

5. mcarvin macrumors regular

That's got to be refined by now. The great thing about Exposé is that you can see the full window scaled down. That screenie shows just the left edges - cool effect, but more eye candy than useful.

And I clicked a link to Thurott's site. Now I need a shower.

6. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

in all honesty a software solution would of work just find for most of that.

To me Longhorn really should have something like expose in it since it is a very good meathond to navigated. To say they are coping well duh it a good idea but to counter the people crying bloody murder Apple blantly copied this mouse thing that PC have had for years and they add 0 stuff to it. (all honstly I hated have my track pads map be one have scrolling at the edge and a tap on the pad is a click. more getts in the way than it is usefull)

7. hob macrumors 68020

hob

no matter how hard M$ try to copy it, it will never be as good as the Apple solution...

the screenshot reminded me of a tech demo I saw of Sun's new OS...

oh, and I'm not a Mac zealot, but who ever said "don't bash microsoft because they've already got trackpads in their computers"... hmmm... The only Microsoft computer I've ever seen was the XBOX...

(sorry)

Hob

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Timeless Blur's post was the most difficult thing I have ever had to read at MR. :p

And while Apple came out with Exposé first, I'm sure Windows can copy it just fine. Give them SOME credit.....they'll get this right if they want to. However, by the time Longhorn comes out, they'll be behind features when compared to OSX, and even the features they DO have won't be as refined as Apple, who probably come out with these features 2-3 years ahead of Microsoft. :)

9. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Dear Apple,

Our photocopier is broken. Some kid hack it, it was using Microsoft Longhorn Copier Edition. Can you please fax us a copy of expose?

Sincerely,
    Microsoft

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I second the point of view that it's more eyecandy that useful, at least in expose you can see different process at the same time, what about editing 5 images with Photoshop ;) ... microcopy, it will be a hard way till they get an useful thing... Boom! :D

11. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm still trying to figure it out! :p

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Me *three* :p

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

As for Longhorn's interpretation of Exposé, it's very similar to Sun's Project Looking Glass, just not implemented as well. Whilst MS's attempt does indeed look pretty, it's not very functional. The majority of the windows are covered, as is the title bar, making it difficult to determine exactly which window it is you're looking for. The beauty of exposé is that it is very easy to identify the window you want at a quick glance. I'm sure it'll be refined before release but MS is probably toeing a fine line between being 'first' with a new feature and try to not making it look like they've just blatantly copied the idea from somewhere else.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, that's sweet. Sun's is pretty useful because of the names along the sides. Also, you can see the entire screen, just from a sharp angle.

Again, I think MS's version of Exposé will work smooth as silk, exactly the way they want it to. But your comments on it not being very useful....well, they still have time to space their windows further apart, and when you move the mouse over the window, maybe the name of the file or webpage pops up, or maybe that particular window is pulled out, kinda like how you would pull out a book sitting on a bookshelf at the library. :confused:

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree with the others: this seems to be an attempt to "one-up" Exposé by using 3D heavily, as opposed to Exposé's 2D images. However, as almost everyone else has pointed out, it's not as functional.

It reminds me of one of the first demonstrations of Longhorn I saw. They were showing multiple open windows that floated around the screen, waving and warping as they went. Yeah, interesting...but exactly what does it do for me?

OS X can do 3D too, but Apple's wisely restricted it to more useful purposes. Look at the the four-way calling capability of Tiger's iChatAV. Now that's 3D with a purpose.

[​IMG]

16. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I still kind of wondering about a 3d OS. It will be the first of its kind that use 3d in some of it workings. I dont think it fair to knock it until we see how it going ot be like in the end since it is still in the earily beta stages.

OSX is still a 2d OS and no where near being a 3d OS. I remeber reading longhorn is going to be using the 3d accerlator for the first time in an OS it self so instead of being a rarely used feature it will be broght more to the for frount (3d acl.)

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS X is a 2D OS accelerated by 3D graphics cards (thanks to Quartz Extreme and its 3D-to-2D mapper). Mac OS X won't go 3D until Apple can find a way to make it user-friendly to their entire target market - so far, none of the attempts at a 3D OS have been very successful. We'll just have to wait and see how Longhorn turns out (assuming it isn't delayed again or cancelled).

18. yukon8170 macrumors member

Isnt that big of a deal

I have to say that longhorn does look pretty cool. (if that is the point that they are at). I hope they can at least figure out how to run 3 or more programs at a time. It never ceases to amaze me how many times a windows computer can crash. I have seen the light and Apple is good - Now comes the problem of converting my parents...

19. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I'll take Exposé over whatever the heck Windows calls that, anyday.

That being said, I think once Longhorn is out I'll finally have no more excuses to keep me from buying like a $400 or $500 cheap Dell just so I can have a PC in the house.

20. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

All windows in OS X are "3-D", in fact, the entire user space (window manager etc) is just an open-gl scene. Windows contents are first drawn (and if the GPU can output high enough quality it will help) by CPU/GPU then mapped onto polygons in the scene (thats why you can have the opengl screensaver as a background and each window doesn't need to be re-drawn...), expose could easily do what looking glass and DWM (L/H) can do, its just for some reason apple feels pulling the windows farther away in the Z (looks 2-d) is better that what others are proposing...

21. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

This feature is present in the Longhorn WinHec build given to developers. It is absolutely useless! This is the new way of doing alt-tab (command-tab on macs) and as you cycle through the windows they come to the front. You can actually click and drag the windows around at that angle and it's particularly annoying when you have a small window behind a big one.

I think this feature will be totally different from Longhorn RTM, and some of the new pics from longhorn show off interesting 3D things, for example a new start menu and sidebar and a view of looking at folders of pictures.

22. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

This feature is present in the Longhorn WinHec build given to developers. It is absolutely useless! This is the new way of doing alt-tab (command-tab on macs) and as you cycle through the windows they come to the front. You can actually click and drag the windows around at that angle and it's particularly annoying when you have a small window behind a big one.

I think this feature will be totally different from Longhorn RTM, and some of the new pics from longhorn show off interesting 3D things, for example a new start menu and sidebar and a view of looking at folders of pictures.

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Microsoft should call it Peeping Tom. Seems appropriate since you look in the window but don't really have a good view of what you want to see.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

When is Longhorn due to be introduced?

And whoever came up with that name?!? :rolleyes:

25. andysmith macrumors 6502

The standard Windows trackpad drivers implement nothing more than basic functionality, and 'tap to click'.

Synaptics makes the drivers that do all the fancy stuff.