Longhorn FAQs...And I am not impresssed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mechcozmo, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Longhorn info, but some really good stuff from the VP of MicroSoft.

Longhorn FAQs

I love this quote:

Honestly, havn't Macs had this since 10.0? Documents folder for the documents, Pictures folder for the pictures.............And new in Tiger: Spotlight!

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not exactly. It says something about not caring when it saves. I'm not sure what that means, but osx does care about where you save. Plus windows has had a "My Documents Folder" for a while now.

5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

windows has had those folders since windows 2000. Always been in XP it just you can over ride the defuat locatoin and save it where you want to save it.

6. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Sounds like the classic Windows-user mindset: don't bother knowing anything about your computer, just let it do all the thinking for you. And people wonder why there can be spyware and hidden files all over the place :rolleyes:

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I love how they obsolete Windows.Forms after only two years with Avalon... wonderful!! :rolleyes:

8. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I care very much about where I save my documents. Right now, I have about 130'000 "documents" on my laptop. How should an OS be able to display all of these at one time? (I'm not talking about files in general, by the way -- I have about 640'000 files.)

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I like the notion that they are oviously expecting errors in their OS by having to include a more advanced Error Reporting Tool; and Palladium that stops viruses, worms and all non-MS apps from running on your system ...

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Isn't Tiger including a more advanced error reporting tools?

More advanced error reporting tools are a good thing even if you aren't expecting them. The more information you have regarding an error the easier it is to fix it... any programmer on the board will tell you that.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Dunno. Never had to use it ^_^

12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeah, I could have written it better, I totally agree with what you say. What I meant was along the lines that ERTs are hardly a selling point for potential purchasers.

:eek:

13. JLS macrumors 6502

More powerful hardware so you get animated windows???! Have they realised that unless they restrict features on 'older' computers, then they would have been sufficient for the job anyway and people would stop buying stupidly fast computers.. what a crock. This smells so bad... they want the pallidium chip in every computer obviously - and this is how they will do it. *******s.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think you are missing the point. They are going to make expirence of using windows better (I don't know if they will succeed). MS is going to allow you to turn some things off for slower computers though. They don't care what processor you have. They are a business trying to make money. They will make the min requirements as low as possible so more people can will buy it.

15. JLS macrumors 6502

I don't think you read the FAQ in full... it talks about how unsigned drivers will mean that longhorn is automatically put back to 'state 1' or whatever its called - obviously my ATI9700 could run windows fading effects, but as its a TX card that came with dell it means I can't use it with the best 'state' meaning a pointless upgrade if I want to get the full features I paid for.

MS is not allowing you to turn things off for slower computers - it is FORCING you.

Obviously they care about your hardware.. if you see your computer won't work all the features in the longhorn (regardless of if it IS actually possible) your more likely to go buy a new machine... this equals another sale of windows on it, plus the new pallidum chip for global digital rights domination..

16. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Paul Thurrott is a joke. This is what he said about Microsoft's Wireless router:

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've read it three times and I finally get what you are saying. I still don't know if I agree or not. I need more info on this Pallidum stuff.

18. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Did ayone see this pic? Is it just me or does it say that this computer has an 80GHz Xeon processor? :confused: Maybe it's 8.0, but still... And I love how it has a 20GB HD! :p

JOD8FY

Attached Files:

• pic.JPG
      pic.JPG
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
  19. zv470 macrumors 6502

Way the go Microsoft, you've hit on a real winner!

If you're not caring where you save stuff, then no wonder you're going to need that 2 TB hard disk.

Hmm, and what happens when windows crashes (note the use of 'when' not 'if' it crashes)... and the file index gets corrupted, how will you ever find your files again?

20. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Well, that and the scary thing about the idea of not caring where your data is stored is the fact that if you never really know *where* it is, you have no control over it whatsoever. Do people in an office just throw thier papers on the floor and everywhere and just expect thier secretary to pick them up and file them nicely for you? (Don't answer that! I know there are some...) I really wouldn't want my files scattered across different disks, networks, computers etc, and then have it magically appear as if they were on my computer unless I know *where* they are. I wouldn't dare have my stuff managed in that fashon.

I think the subtle difference is, I should care where my files are, but I shouldn't have to look for them.

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'm of two minds about this whole "it shouldn't matter where I save" thing. On the one hand, not letting the computer get in the way of the user, and not forcing the user to adapt to the computer, are part of why Apple's products are easier to use, and that's a logical extension of that concept. Apple's Spotlight is their take on a solution to that problem, and given that it's pretty much the same approach Google's using with Gmail, it's probably a valid one.

But on the other hand....how hard is it to understand basic directory/folder structure?!? For the love of little flowered iMacs, are people REALLY that stupid? Why is it that it's generally accepted for every other kind of tool that a bit of time invested in learning to use it properly will greatly help results, but when it comes to computers you shouldn't have to learn ANYTHING to use it properly? Because, y'know, consumers shouldn't actually have to use their brains or anything. :rolleyes:

Here's my two favorite quotes from the FAQ:

Words utterly fail me.
    But is it...wait for it....secure?

Oy. :rolleyes:

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Ugh. I will never understand people's urge to organize purely by filetype. When I work on a project, I want to make a folder for it, and view all the images, text files, videos, or whatever in that folder. Nothing wrong with being able to just view all your documents, but it's rather foolish to say that you shouldn't care where you save your files.

23. AhmedFaisal Guest

Looks like Longhorn will be an even bigger bitch than XP

I have a couple of WinBlows boxes and all run on Windows 2000 the last decent OS that MS ever made. Until they physically prevent me from installing W2k on a new PC I will keep using it, and it even supports Hyperthreading, just assumes a physical 2nd CPU is present. And by the time W2k won't install anymore Linux or any other Unix should have gotten their hardware support for stuff like soundcards (M-Audio Audiophile sucks ass big time so far) up to par so I can finally tell MS to sod off.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

24. Edot macrumors 6502

I like this one.

After all, as one Microsoft executive asked me recently, "Why can we find anything we want on the Internet in seconds, but it takes so long to find our own data on our own PCs?"

Wait since when does Steve work for MS? :rolleyes:

25. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Longhorn...I have to say, when it still is based on DOS (MS dons't know any other language except qbasic ;) ) You have a problem. It is ancient. Why use DOS? Oh, and another thing...how will Longhorn use a 4TB harddrive if NTFS dosn't format anything bigger than 2TB? Will people need to partition their drives?

And I like that comment about the "when it crashes...what happens to the file index?" I'll say that it is backed up to the hard drive, so that way when that crashes too you can be safe.
    (I once did some minor IT help at a buisenss, and on eguy told me "Our backups go so much faster now--watch this!" And he chooses the save to hard drive option...completely defies the point...)