LONGHORN LOOKS BAD!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iminimac, Jun 13, 2005.

1. iminimac macrumors regular

i heard about longhorn and how it was supposed to be really good i was sligtly worried ther but then i saw a picture and it looks TERRIBLE! they have made all there windows curvy and abnormal shapes and it is all bright and colorful and looks horrible. also they have copied many features of tiger such as spotlight. it will be a shame when it coms out tho becos tiger is a brilliant selling point: the most advanced operating system in the world. hopefully mac will come back with something 3 times as good tho!

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

just what is your point on this thread? You are talking about another thread you've seen? What does:
    Is this some kind of pun? you saw a herd of longhorn?
    If, instead of "heard" you meant "thread", why didn't you just post a reply on that thread instead of creating a new one?
    For a thread title like:LONGHORN LOOKS BAD!! - all in bold and such, I would at least expect a link to some evidence to prove it, or some specific insider technical information to that fact.
    You can't just start a thread about nothing! :confused:

3. iminimac thread starter macrumors regular

i made a mistake with my spelling and edited it as soon as i realised but it seems that ur post appeared afterwards.

Also about the picture: i saw a link to a picture of a screenshot of longhorn. i have been trying to find the link on the message boards but have been unable to. infact i have just found a picture on the net and the link is http://www.quantrimang.com/images/longhorn.jpg

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That's a picture of windows XP with skins and what not...

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

6. iminimac thread starter macrumors regular

oops :confused: sorry ther(im only a kid). but there is still the copying of spotlight

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow this thread is useful. Really informative.

i havent seen one of these before, atleast if you are going to post a pic to critisize, make sure it is actually longhorn and have some constructive criticism. i am usually one of the first to bash microsoft, but hell, its over a year away, give it time (though i do suppose it has had quite a lot!)

8. jesped8 macrumors newbie

The pictures look like XP with a few modifications. Which is good because XP looks and feels really nice. It's easy to navigate with the start button and the bar in the bottom, so why would they wanna change that for longhorn. All in all it looks good.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) That pic is a Windows XP skin, NOT Longhorn.
    2) I'm running Longhorn. It's bad ;)
    3) To quote Slashdot:
    "What *will* Longhorn actually have in it? Avalon, Indigo, and WinFX are all being backported to XP/2003, WinFS has been dropped for the release, and now Monad (I love that name) is being cut. I'm not quite sure how Microsoft plans to sell the OS on such exciting features as "Better DRM!" and "We've got the security thing right this time. Promise!""

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Longhorn will have a slightly different GUI and will remove all occuranced of the word "My". What, you wanted more?

It will have the Spotlight clone though, as that is NOT "WinFS".

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm not sure if anyone outside of MS knows how Longhorn will look like. They're keeping a lid on things, and the various leaked version of Longhorn doesn't use the final look/theme.

And that's defintely an XP theme. And an ugly one at that...

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The builds seeded to MSDN members do not include the new Aero interface. However, you can check out the current "look" of Longhorn at Microsoft fan boy Thurrott's website http://www.winsupersite.com/longhorn/.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I agree with the thread starter, that picture looks hideous. I can't explain or defend all of the grumpy posters though.

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

16. Ph4lynx macrumors member

YES YOU CAN!!!

This is the Internet!!!
    Yes You Can!!!!!

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Who cares what the new version of windows looks like, its still gonna suck!Who can honestly say that they are excited to see a new version of windblows? Not I- switched and never going back :D

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

you know it's pretty easy to sit back and say "ewww longhorn looks horrible" based on a few screen shots but really, I'd like to see you design something better.

let's face it, OS X has us spoiled. Most UI's arean't this pleasing to the eye, and even having said that OS X still has a few points that arean't perfect "jelly bean scroll bars *cough*"

I'm not saying I know how to make a better UI. I'm just saying from what I've seen of longhorn is fine, atleast they've ditched the fisher price blue.

19. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Since you are running Longhorn (Beta tester I hope) why not enlighten us with a few screen snapshots?

20. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I agree about the jelly bean scroll bars, but from what I've seen of Longhorn the blended visualisations seems a bit disjointed; MS still don't know what to do with it yet. OS X stands out, and has done for 5 years ... but Windows just gets messier.

21. deanbo macrumors regular

Yuck!

Looks like one of the XP designers was on acid and then came up with this. Come to think of it, this would great OS for acid takers (swirly bright colours and all).

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So then, the pictures at Winsupersite, are they what we can expect to see when Longhorn finally ships or have they been "XP-ed" to hide a new GUI?

23. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

What, you wanted more?

More useful than the original screenshot ;)

andy.

Attached Files:

24. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

On a side note, I love this screenshot off winsupersite.com.

andy.

Attached Files: