"Longhorn" - Now I know why they call it that!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Mar 15, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

After reading this, now I know why Microsoft will call their next version of Windows - "Longhorn". It is because they are really going to stick it to you in the behind where it hurts.

Intel will be doing the same with their "Palladium" chip coming out the end of this year or early 2004.

To get around the D.O.J. ruling, Windows "Longhorn" OS will be a completely new product and will not be compatible with any existing software and hardware. It has a new database file system called "Objects". In order to access your files on your computer, you will have to buy a subscription to Microsoft's .net service.

If Microsoft and Intel stick with their plans, I can't see much of any future for them. Only idiots and secret agents wanting high security will be buying these systems.

Apple's Mac OS X and 970, and Linux and AMD are the future.

http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html#longhorn

Pete ;)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I see good things in Apples future....even die hard M$ fans will have a serious problem with this :D

Let the mass 'Switching' begin...;)

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

My greatest fear is that people will just "accept" it, like it's the way the computing world is going... and I'm sorry to say but with 95% market share, it is going to become the way, whether a few people don't like it or not. This is the scariest thing about Microsoft: they can do almost anything they want.

I can see an end coming to Macs, Linux, and anything else out there. I can see myself being a rebel, buying a special kit from a "dealer" and building my own Mac.

:eek:

irmongoose

4. blogo macrumors 6502

5. jaykk macrumors 6502a

If .Net is a success, M$ will have 100% market share

Yes, lets admit it, 95% of the world doesn't get it, and they continue to use Windows no matter what. The remaining 5 % will have a tough time, figuring out how to compete with the M$. And if .NET picks up the steam, i think Java is history. Apple should try and get at least 7-10% market share..otherwise the standard of computing belongs to M$

6. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

You won't in the final version. The hardware will handle palladium and there will be no way around it if you want to run longhorn and intel chips.

7. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

WOW i just finished reading the article, msft is like a bunch of nazi's were everything is there way or else.. i mean they will be able to go in you computer and erase stuff with out you even nowing???
    is guess we 5% are the smarter population of the world

aethier

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yeah, well, there are a lot of sheep out there. They'll all be driving little gray cars too. Most people don't want to be individuals so the go with the crowd. That wouldn't be any of us. :)

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you also have to remember that hardly anyone has upgraded to xp. most people still us 98. but still once microsoft comes out with a new system, thats the only thing that can be sold. so if someone wants a new computer thats what the will have to use. does anyboyd know if amd is making a chip for this, and if not this makes sense with looprumors newest rumor on amd gonna start making ppc's. looks like i will be stuck with xp for the time being, hope this will help force game makers to take a second look at the mac so i can get rid of my killer rig, although i dont want to.

iJon

10. Flickta macrumors 6502

To use iChat you need to sign at .Mac, right?

I hope it won't become a tradition in the computerworld...

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, u can just use your AOL IM screen name, which is FREE!

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

??? Have you even used iChat?

13. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I use ichat all the time. Only with my AIM account. I like some aspects of it. in other areas it is weak compaired to AIM

14. Flickta macrumors 6502

Don't have .Mac account or AIM.

So...

(Is AIM available where there is no AOL?)

15. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Yes, AMD plans to provide support for TCPA/Palladium in their newer chips.

16. Macpoops macrumors 6502

The more i hear about longhorn the more it is right in line with microsofts tradition of copying what is already been done. On thing that sitcks out in my mind is the fact that the new OS will not be compatible with the old one. Gee who does this sound like???? Apple anyone? And now that they bought VPC from connectix it seems more and more like longhorn is going to be using a Classic-type environment for running Windows programs. There goes microsoft again making money off a cheap knockoff

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

HEY, i have a little grey car:( :D

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Is there such thing as a die hard MS fan?

Excluding Bill Gates of course..... and that wacky dude. :p;)

The Palladium chip isn't all that bad but this Longhorn OS is total
    BS. hehe. Too bad MS can afford to make stupid mistakes and
    Apple can't.... :( :eek: ;)

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The copy protection system is in the hardware, but Windows is needed for it to work. All network cards have a unique ID so they a computer can be identified (I am not talking about IP address). Adobe uses it to make sure you are not using more than one copy with the same serial on a network. There are of cource ideas to put the ID code in other devices like the CPU, but the OS decides to use it.

Windows just uses this ID and puts this code into all documents, media extra created on a PC. Then only that PC will be able to read those documents. There are ways around it, but it is meant to be like cracking the encryption system for online money transfer: it is do-able, but takes a long time.

20. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-FYI

You're talking MAC address, Machine Address Code.

Format is (h=hexidecimal):
    hh-hh-hh-hh-hh-hh

Example:
    00-20-A8-BE-76-B4

21. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Since AIM has nothing to do with being an internet service provider, I would think that you can get an AIM screen name anywhere. You'd still need an ISP, but yea you could sign on to AIM as long as you have some kind of internet connection.

--Fred

22. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

heh, check out my tar. ;)

i can see M$ having a ministry of love......
    or do they already have one?

23. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-beez7777

Y'know, Ive been meaning to ask you about that . Is Ballmer actually sticking his tongue out or is that a Photoshop?

24. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

:D nope, no photoshop. it's an original. the videos are even better. there's "DEVEOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!" and "monkey boy dance." if anyone wants them, i have links somewhere. :D

25. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Oh, dude. Gimme!