Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mowogg, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA
    There is a rumor on F****edCompnay.com (you know the site of which I speak) that says that Microsoft may be pulling the plug on Longhorn. It says they have lain off 62 of the software testers.
    Don't know how valid this is, but if so it would be the biggest case of MS Vaporware since...BoB!
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    There's no way in hell MS will stop dev of Longhorn.
  3. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA
    RE: Longhorn

I don't know. They stopped development of Internet Explorer for the Mac, and that was a lot bigger deal. (heh, heh!)
  4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    IE for Mac is a bigger deal than Longhorn for x86 and the future of Windows. :rolleyes:

You must be smoking something good there. ;) :)
  5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Its the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but Microsoft laid-off these workers to move to "automated testing" so that instead of people getting money to feed their families, virus-filled computers with all this crap on them will be building/testing the newer safer Windows version.
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.

on release:

Longhorn = Virus :p ;) :)

No wonder M$ has anti-virus utilities its called "un-install windows". :p ;) :D
  7. tjmcardl macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2004
    Urbana, IL
    Somehow I'm guessing that 62 software testers isn't even a drop in the bucket at MS. How does letting a few people go translate into canceling Longhorn?
  8. VincentVega macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    They laid off the workers and have replaced them with automated tools of some description. They won't cancel Longhorn - what else do they have in the pipeline? It's been delayed enough as it is - cancelling it would make them look like complete idiots (or, even more idiotic, depending on your viewpoint).

This looks like someone putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA

They must be using the calculator app from Windows then! :p :p :p

Longhorn may scale back and incorporate more and more carryover from XP, but obviously MS is going to release a new version of their OS at some point in the next three or four years.
  10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Well, I had read that they are not going to include the much hyped WinFS storage system in Longhorn, because they were having problems.
  11. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    rumour has it Bill Gates got real mad with all the leaks and rumours going around that he fired all the Dev staff and cancelled the project and Gave the Dev Money to charity all $750 million of it :eek:
  12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Longhorn will be released as a virus; it will automatically install itself on your computer, look up the personal information you supplied when you registered XP, discover your credit card numbers and charge itself to one of them. You won't have to do anything except pay!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Longhorn will not be canceled; worst case it will be something like the Copland/Rhapsody/OS X nosense that Apple went through: Maybe something like Longhorn will be canceled in favor of a new similar OS codenamed Pronghorn, which will be scrapped and re-devloped into a juicey medium rare prime rib. Mmmmm.
  13. aethier macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2003
    Montréal, Canada
    microsoft already did that... back in the time of Copland, like Apple, Microsoft was pouring money into codename Neptune, it got cancelled and replaced with Whistler (WinXP)
  14. 512ke macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    Microsoft cannot abandon Longhorn.

Microsoft NEEDS Longhorn's innovations/new features.

Predictions for new innovations/features of Longhorn:

-Won't work with Firefox or at least won't work well
    -Won't work with Quicktime
    -Won't work with iTunes or AAC
    -Won't work with OpenOffice
    -Won't play nicely with Linux
    -Will require some kind of subscription if you want to use "secure" Word docs

The theme will be: shut out the competition.

Maybe, eh.
  15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    That would explain the swiss cheese software they write.

Perhaps there wasn't anything left to test...
  16. agentphish macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    No way in hell LH is cancelled. My dad is a high level industrial design manager at an undisclosed company,he wasin charge at Motorola for design of nextel phones and all other 2 way products for about 6 years, just so you get the picture of how high level he is.

Just 2-3 weeks ago MS hosted an Industrial Design round table of sorts for leaders of the industry. They demonstrated LH and my dad was talking for a long time with a friend of his friends...the director of industrial design for MS Steve Kemecko(even went for a ride in his brand new masaratti). LH is alive and well. Fireing some people means nothing. MS has some interesting design concepts coming down the line as well. No question about it. this means nothing.