Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gocyrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Sager NP5620-V Notebook Computer with a 2.2GHZ P4 is coming next week. This baby is way faster than the models coming out by Dell, Gateway, and others at 1.6 & 1.7 GHZ. It also has the ATI 7500 mobile graphics with 64MB DDR AGP video RAM.

Sager can now lay claim to the world's fastest notebook PC by a long shot. It smashes even Apple's 667MHZ Ti PB G4 by a wide margin.

*** Prices start at just $1,695. A fully loaded system is just $2,495.

Specifications:

15" SXGA+ Active Matrix Display
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor up to 2.2GHZ
256 MB 266MHz PC2100 DDR [Expandable to 1024 MB]
20.0/30.0/40.0 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
24X Max./ 8X Max. DVD Detachable CD-ROM Drive
Smart Li-ION Battery
Front Panel Audio DJ CD Player
256KB on-die / 512KB on-die Cache
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500 64MB DDR SDRAM
Removable 3.5" FDD exchangeable with opt. Cd-ROM, CD-RW, COMBO or 2nd Battery
Wavetable 3D Stereo Audio/AC'97 2.1
Touchpad
1 Type II PCMCIA Slots
Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface
4 USB Ports
1 IEEE-1394 Port (4 PIN)

Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out, 1 headphone, 1 infrared, 1 microphone, 1 parallel, 1 PS/2 keyboard, 1 SVGA video, 1 TV-out, 1 RJ-45(LAN), 1 RJ-11(Modem)

Additional Features: Integrated 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN & V.90 56K Fax/Modem, Optional 8X Max.

DVD-ROM, 8x4x24 Max. CD-RW, and 8X DVD/8x8x24 CD-RW Combo drive

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Deluxe Carrying Bag

Auto Switch 110/220V AC Adapter, AC power cord, User's Manual, Utility CD

Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 1.7"x13"x11.4"
Weight: 9.6lbs. with Battery
One year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty. (2 or 3 year Extended Warranty Plan optional.)

Lifetime Free Technical Support

Here is a big picture of the NP5620-V notebook.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: Look: 2.2GHZ P4 notebook! World's fastest! Coming next week!

Originally posted by gocyrus
Sager NP5620-V Notebook Computer with a 2.2GHZ P4 is coming next week.

Sager can now lay claim to the world's fastest notebook PC by a long shot. It smashes even Apple's 667MHZ Ti PB G4 by a wide margin.

*** Prices start at just $1,695. A fully loaded system is just $2,495.

Lifetime Free Technical Support

Here is a big picture of the NP5620-V notebook.

The clone shop around the corner from where I work sells Sager notebooks. They look really impressive as far as PC notebooks go... And their prices are certainly low. That's about all the nice things I can say about Sager notebooks. We see probably half a dozen of them a month with catastrophic failures of one sort or another... I can't get the owner of the clone shop to tell me how many THEY see come back. He did volunteer that they would not be keeping any more in stock, though, and would only special order them. He also will not sell them without an extended warranty... specifically a VAC warranty (This means that if it comes back after 31 days, HE gets paid to work on a machine HE sold.. pretty slick.. I bet they stop supporting Sager, though)
All the "lifetime free TECH support" in the world doesn't get a dead screen working again, though. "Clone" notebooks (Trogon, Sager, Packard Bell, many others) are almost always more grief than they are worth... and almost universally use desktop CPU's that cause battery life to utterly and completely SUCK. As pretty much any Apple owner would tell you, you get what you pay for.

gocyrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
S/PDIF out port

Did I forget to mention it has a S/PDIF out port?

How many notebooks can you think of have that?

Cy

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
That thing's got a better audio spec than any Mac ever, desktop or otherwise. why can't we have digital and analog inputs ?

you can't do anything musically with any mac without bringing the CPU to it's knees with software synths and spending extra on a quality audio card or next to nothing on some USB junk.

It's about time apple started to add audio to it's "digital hub", if the next TiBook is as powerful as this PC laptop for audio work I think I'll kiss the desktop route goodbye forever. More realistically macs will have worthless audio capabilities forever and I'll be upgrading from my DigiToolboxXP system to a Digi001 system when I buy my next desktop mac.

why not work with some third parties on getting the macs audio upto spec, they credit roland for the soundset they use in QT musical instruments and they have close ties with Digidesign, why not give the mac the converters off the old discontinued Audiomedia III card that toolboxXP came with, add a synthesis chip from Roland and give us SP/DIF and RCA audio in and out ?

They can put the damn headphone socket on the front of the tower too, along with a USB port, It's not ease of use to have scrabble down the back of a computer just to plug in something like a joypad or a pair of headphones.

okay, this is drifting off topic but the mac is totally crushed by the PC for audio, well before you add some decent 3rd party hardware anyway, it's still crushed on raw processing power for running plug-ins and stuff.

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
p4 sucks!

Hey the p4 is the worst chip on the face of the planet. i would take a p3 over a p4 and I wouldn't use a p3. pc's suck. the g4 rules!

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
a few things...

first of all, gocyrus go away. This is a mac board. Take your hapless techno-weenie ideals and shove it up your @ss. Now that said, onto pulling apart this "laptop".

1) 2.2 ghz p4?!? sure, with how many fans blowing hot air onto your lap? And what is it going to ship with in terms of batteries? 3 lithium ion batts and a spare hand crank generator for when your 2.5 hours of battery juice (this includes the combined effort of all 3 batteries) is all used up? Riiiiiiight. I would want this anyday over a fanless (yes the tibook has a fan but i rarely goes on) 1 inch thick laptop with a 5 hour batterylife. oh wait it boasts almost 3 hours on low power!!! Yeah!

2) any idea of how much this is going to weigh? hmm its large enough to acomodate 4 usb ports, up to 2 cd bays, and a battery to boot!
Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 1.7"x13"x11.4"     Weight: 9.6lbs. 9.6 lbs!! thats with only one battery and no gear what so ever! laptop my @ss! go ahead gocyrus, lug your compu-brick, just remember to wear your back support brace before you try to move your "portable".
hmm lets see:
>6lb tibook
or
>10lb compu-brick
wow what a choice for a "mobile" computer.

3) how fast does a "mobile p4 2.2 ghz" run under battery? with its "low-voltage" design something is telling me that it won't be opperating at 2.2 ghz on portable juice. Useless.

4) sure it has a 15 inch screen but those of us that run programs with massive amount of paletes and windows (ex. final cut pro, photo shop, flash, etc. oh wait a sec, that just about every professional application out there!) know the advantage of the tibook's wide aspect ratio screen. that little bit of extra horizontal space can make a big difference. But considering that the people that will be buying the "fastest notebook" will be you average consumers that don't know anything else, it will be fine.

5) the final straw IS THAT IT RUNS WINBLOWS!! I don't care how fast a machine is, if it doesn't run on a reliable os i don't want it. And winblows xp, me, etc. is not a reliable (nor stable) os.

in my own opinion, the tibook will more than hold its own in every place that counts for a MOBILE computer, and then some. go out and buy that machine gocyrus, show us what you can do with its amazing power. maybe your "music" will improve as a result. just maybe.

iMax

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
SF Bay Area
I may be newly registered, but I've been reading these posts fro a while, and I just have to say if you want him to go away, don't post back! ignore him and he'll go away, it's that whole I want attention mentality of a third grader...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by barkmonster

Man, you are right about most of what you said. The only thing I'm not totally agree is getting a Digi001 with a PCI card, it's about time to have that unit as a firewire conection, just like motu has.

Yes, Apple has push a side the audio fetures in the computer. I have a G4 400, the last G4 with audio imput. I know is not big deal but I when I didn't have my Audio Media III at that time it saved my a** really good.

Now, about the laptop with spdif out... that sound like an extra feature that no one is gonna use. To be able tu use a spdif port you need a dat recorder or a profesional digital interface, is not that I'm gonna plug it to my video beam. If I really are gonna use the spdif conector I would get the new Digidesign usb interface that comes with much more and that means more flexibility.

Is like getting a BMW with a printer.

On the other hand, you can tell the ammount of features they are getting for the price, of course for me the Powerbook G4 is long way over rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.