Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
nice review

we've linked to the GVS site a few times on the " rack" threads but this is the first review i've seen of their machines---nice.:) if nothing special happens in july i'll be calling gvs for a dual 1 ghz....maybe i'll be calling them for a new dual g5:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
rackmount is great and seems to be a major space saver

the cool, silver exterior of a stock G4 is hard to beat, but looks rank behind what is "under the hood" for me and it would be cool to reduce this rack machine to a 2U enclosure in the future

there are some super powerful 1U pc rigs out there right now but any rackmount is better than a desktop machine with an added optical drive, mouse, keyboard, printer, scanner, etc all on the same desktop battling for space

the rack also takes the cpu off the ground which is a good thing keeping the cpu away from household and office dust

cool review

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
OC

Originally posted by Falleron
It would be even better if they did some overclocking to it!

Wish granted. They took it to 1.2GHz and could take it to 1.33GHz by adjusting the bus/processor ratio (crazy).

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
kits

I have seen rack mount kits that you can use to mount Macs with. I bet they are cheeper that way, but they take more u space I bet. I would love to see more of industry buying up these bad boys, or Apple making real servers. Centralized computing is comming back in fashon, I hope Apple is part of it. I know My University would use them and Maybe they could enve replace some of the expensive Sun servers that we have... they are great but They are over kill. They dont get used for what they were built for.

-evildead

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hey! the retrofit is a better deal!!!?

GVS:

Two Optical drives and 4x 100Gb HD ATA-100 with HW RAID and OS X RAID support plus all the usual bells and whistles (minus the modem) and a 22" Cinema Display comes to $8833.00.

400Gb HW RAID 0, Super Drive, Combo Drive, ZIP 250 Internal.

Apple:

One Optical drive, 3x 72Gb SCSI 160 without HW RAID, All the usual stuff (minus modem) and a 22" Cinema Display comes to $9717.00.

216Gb SW RAID, Super Drive, Zip 250 Internal.

Gee lemme think which one I'll spend money on.................;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :p

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
LOL

Jeez.

When I first saw this thread I thought one of the newbies had posted his GF's new breasts. I thought "**** ! I better see this before it gets censored".:rolleyes:

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
A rackmountable Mac is a good choice when you are at collage and have to jump from roomate to another as I did.

My studio still very "prepared to live" bacesue my most important things are in a rackmount.

I really would like to have a rackmountable Mac , but only if I have to work around with it. May be in the future in my job as a VJ (if those sucker ever pay me what they should), but I see it far from real.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: LOL

Originally posted by mischief
Jeez.

When I first saw this thread I thought one of the newbies had posted his GF's new breasts. I thought "**** ! I better see this before it gets censored".:rolleyes:
Nice one mischief!! Fraid not this time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.