Look at the Rack!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Falleron, Apr 27, 2002.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    nice review

we've linked to the GVS site a few times on the " rack" threads but this is the first review i've seen of their machines---nice.:) if nothing special happens in july i'll be calling gvs for a dual 1 ghz....maybe i'll be calling them for a new dual g5:D

2. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

It would be even better if they did some overclocking to it!

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

rackmount is great and seems to be a major space saver

the cool, silver exterior of a stock G4 is hard to beat, but looks rank behind what is "under the hood" for me and it would be cool to reduce this rack machine to a 2U enclosure in the future

there are some super powerful 1U pc rigs out there right now but any rackmount is better than a desktop machine with an added optical drive, mouse, keyboard, printer, scanner, etc all on the same desktop battling for space

the rack also takes the cpu off the ground which is a good thing keeping the cpu away from household and office dust

cool review

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

OC

Wish granted. They took it to 1.2GHz and could take it to 1.33GHz by adjusting the bus/processor ratio (crazy).

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

kits

I have seen rack mount kits that you can use to mount Macs with. I bet they are cheeper that way, but they take more u space I bet. I would love to see more of industry buying up these bad boys, or Apple making real servers. Centralized computing is comming back in fashon, I hope Apple is part of it. I know My University would use them and Maybe they could enve replace some of the expensive Sun servers that we have... they are great but They are over kill. They dont get used for what they were built for.

-evildead

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Hey! the retrofit is a better deal!!!?

GVS:

Two Optical drives and 4x 100Gb HD ATA-100 with HW RAID and OS X RAID support plus all the usual bells and whistles (minus the modem) and a 22" Cinema Display comes to $8833.00.

400Gb HW RAID 0, Super Drive, Combo Drive, ZIP 250 Internal.

Apple:

One Optical drive, 3x 72Gb SCSI 160 without HW RAID, All the usual stuff (minus modem) and a 22" Cinema Display comes to $9717.00.

216Gb SW RAID, Super Drive, Zip 250 Internal.

Gee lemme think which one I'll spend money on.................;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :confused: :p

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

LOL

Jeez.

When I first saw this thread I thought one of the newbies had posted his GF's new breasts. I thought "**** ! I better see this before it gets censored".:rolleyes:

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

A rackmountable Mac is a good choice when you are at collage and have to jump from roomate to another as I did.

My studio still very "prepared to live" bacesue my most important things are in a rackmount.

I really would like to have a rackmountable Mac , but only if I have to work around with it. May be in the future in my job as a VJ (if those sucker ever pay me what they should), but I see it far from real.

9. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: LOL

Nice one mischief!! Fraid not this time!