Look how people change when they see 'Apple'

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Jun 30, 2004.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Here is another forum I visit, its a little smaller in population and is mainly for windows users, a throwback to when I was first on the net and had a windows machine myself. I still hang around there from time to time.

But read this discussion from this link and notice what goes wrong:

The thread starter is looking for a dual monitor setup, what did Apple just release anew? My first comment is meant to come across as being sarcastic and to downplay who the company is, who offers this setup, notice I don't mention Apple right away.
  2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Its not always negative you know...especially if you aren't talking to hardcore geeks (Linux/PC/Mac zealots). There are FAR too many times I have seen girls (friends and friends of those friends) who absolutely LOVE Apple b/c its sexy. To them, they could care less about the technical reasons.

I mean, it is true however, that between guys and girls, the guy (if he is computer literate) might have "taken a side" already, while the girl, whether she is computer literate or not, most of the time could care less.

I might add that my female friend went wild when I told her I got an iBook, but she got disappointed when I said it was only a G3 (haha which means she did her homework).
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Interesting....and as far as I can see he did not reply to your last post.
  4. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    That's great, I can't believe the guy didn't even notice the Apple banners in the background. He must have been too busy looking at the awesome displays :D. I wonder if anyone will reply to your last post.

I care! :)
  5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    It is just ridiculous, but I think people are starting to come round as Apple makes more stuff available to PC users. I think it will just take time for PC people to accept Apple as just another component supplier be it monitors iPods or iTunes etc.

I have switched two friends to Apple this year, admittedly both girls and both of them grew up using Apple and I have some others interested when they can afford it. Apple is becoming more "acceptable" to people it just takes time to change attitudes.
  6. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Not yet, thats because I had only just replied to him before making this thread, he is a nice person actually, it has just struck me as being weird that he would act as he did in the discussion.
  7. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I sold my eMac to a friend when I got my iBook, after about 8 months of his complaining to me about his PC troubles and me retorting with the virtues of owning a mac, he snapped my hand off when I said i'm selling it. He cannot believe how resilient it is compared to windows which his grand child keeps playing with. He isn't bothered as much now when she plays with OSX, to him its past the test.

On a side note, he has one of those friends who has to have the best, his friend always has the better hardware and helps him when he had his PC troubles whether its with upgrading or with a windows problems.
    Anyway, now that my friend has my mac, how did his friend react?

He got a mac as well! :p He has started the friendly competiveness again but with macs!

Thats me having converted 2 people, 1 of them inadvertently.

But, I suppse his friend didn't have a preference, and wasn't so hesistant like this person is with the dual display discussion.
  8. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Well, does the 30" screen even work with Windows/Linux? Isn't the graphics card a special edition thing (something about Dual Dual-link DVI). If so it could be difficult to find drivers for Win/Linux.

I use (several different) PCs at work with the Apple 23" Cinema Display. I often get issues because the Apple display can't handle some resolutions and I also don't get to change the settings (brightness and such) because I don't have a Mac.

So I understand the sceptisism towards using Apple stuff with a PC if it doesn't explicitly say it's also made for Windows. In this case, however, the person sounded like he didn't like Apple, period. That's just stupid.
  9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    The new displays have Power and Brightness controls on the right side of the frame.
    So at least you can put the monitor into standby and wake it up, as well as control the brightness without a Mac.
    Also, I think that if you use a mac, the power button on the monitor, not only puts the monitor into standby, but also put the computer into standby. It may also wake both the comptuer and monitor up when you press the power button again.
  10. ACED macrumors member

Feb 29, 2004
    I think some PC users actually fear having anything Apple because of the shinking minority rumors and its near 'cult' status amongst PC users, plus the pervading misperception that anything Apple is over-priced and over-hyped by some turtle-necked guy, so it might be terminally off-putting to the PC dude if that attitude has been festering for some years...his problem really
  11. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, well, that's the exact same response people give when they find out someone they are talking to is a Conservative (or Libertarian).

These people just couldn't understand how someone could be so wrong in their thinking, and besides no one they know is like that so it must be a fluke - or those people are just crazy so they must be ridiculed and put down to show their superior tolerance and understanding of other viewpoints.
  12. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    ooooo, who is that sexy 7on on there? He's way sexy in all of his knowledge.