Look out, Iran:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mike Teezie, Jun 16, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

takes a lot of balls for bush to say something like that.

2. Zaid macrumors 6502

Balls, no, it doesn't take balls to send other people to die if you see them as fodder.
    Hypocracy, yes as well a certain penchant for irony

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

oh the irony....

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The amount of Iran coverage on Faux News is staggering. The same seeds of reasoning concerning spreading Democracy and freedom and being spread by Fox.

Though I fail to see how they are going to do it. With no exit strategy for Iraq and falling troop numbers, how many more troops do we have to spare? Are all of our troops going to be committed to Iran?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps iran is the iraq exit strategy.

someone should just buy bush Risk for father's day and we can be done with it.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Great idea, we could invade every Middle Eastern nation on our way to getting back to the US. That is the only way to really be sure that Terrorism is taken care of.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as long you don't take the route through europe on your way back ;)

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Though ironically, Iran may actually be harboring terrorists and is probably building nukes. If they weren't before, I'm sure they are now. As Jon Stewart said, we were only 1 letter off. :rolleyes: Though even if that were all true, who's going to believe us now? I'd have my doubts even if we have the proof they say we do.

10. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

With public support for the effort in Iraq so low, I just don't think the public would stand for another go 'round.

It's not like we could afford it, or are even capable of mounting another campaign right now anyway.

Draft?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You're certainly not going to be able to do anything with an untrained conscript force. It'll take years to get that together.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Cannon fodder doesn't need any training, does it?

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The question is, does Bush want to do something in Iran now that he doesn't have to stand for reelection, regardless of the public reaction? Many among the neocons think this is the time to use military power before there can be an effective response to change this administration's direction. So is this their hour to "make hay while the sun shines" on neocon foreign policy? I think we can count on some sort of military adventure in Iran, either directly with US forces or with Israeli surrogates. The drumbeats of war are getting too loud to ignore.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And anyone who supports that will be out of a job come next election. Bush may not need to worry, but everyone else does. Look at the Patriot Act II or Social Security. It's funny how quickly people jump off of a sinking ship.

15. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

If I had a point, that's sort of it I guess...in...err...a roundabout way.

Bushie better not go beating his chest too hard. He doesn't have the means, nor the clout to pull Iran off right now.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm trying to be an optimist. Not that the next administration will be much better. Dems or neocons. But there I am being a pessimist again.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why are we waiting on destroying Irans Nuclear capabilities? so they can make one? so they can move them all over the country?? Destroy the things now! Iran cannot be allowed to go Nuclear just as Saddam wasnt allowed. Sitting around doing nothing is sitting around doing nothing. Is the Free world going to have to rely on tiny little Israel to do what needs to be done again??? I hope we dont. The Fact is we cant let Iran become a nuclear power. We dont have to start a war just to shut these plants down, give em 20 minutes notice , no 15 minutes and then vaporize these things. Iran's diplomats have done nothing but lie on this subject for years....Blow it up now and listen to the lies later. Everyday puts them another day closer to having this thing. Just give me a stealth bomber to fly and ill go do it! :cool:

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

WOW!
    Don't know where to start or how to say it!

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The Israeli's will do it first - they're far more worried than the Americans. Israel may be tiny but they more than make up for it.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whoa there! Deep breaths! Any convincing reason? Or can you not bear a level playing field? Your psychos have got themselves a weapon or two, why not theirs?

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's think for a second what the US response would be if someone nuked us. What would we do? We'd probably attack the people who did it ASAP.

Ok, now what would the Iranian response be? The same? Or is there some reason I should know of that would dictate them acting any different from us?

Can our troops in Iraq handle the Iranians coming across the Iran-Iraq border with all their other duties? Or would there be an instant draft?

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Defeating the Iranian military would not really be a problem. Although Iran has some 540,000 troops and 350,000 reserves, I can't imagine that morale would be high enough for their military to effectively take on the US. I don't think that there are many armies on earth that would not experience mass desertions when faced with the prospect of war with the US military. Iran's decrepit airforce and aging tanks aren't really a match for US forces.

If we attempted to secure Iran, however, that would be a completely different matter. Far bigger country with far more people, most of whom have a proud history of kicking Americans out. With its current tasks in Iraq and Afghanistan, our military couldn't handle a new task of that scale without a draft.