look what it takes to burn a cd in windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Sep 1, 2004.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find one that matched.

I was browsing through the beta version of microsofts new online music service and came across this description on how to burn a cd. I almost started laughing at how many steps there and where you have to go on the computer to do this. Thank god for iTunes and it's two click cd burning abilities, thought I would share it with everyone. :)

Attached Files:

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

In the interest of fairness (yes, I know it hurts sometimes), many of these same steps need to be followed even with iTunes (such as selecting what you want to burn, inserting a CD, potentially erasing a CD-RW, etc)...

Still, a nice example of how to make something seem very user-unfriendly.

(I included a JPG version of the PDF for those that like that).

Attached Files:

3. wwooden thread starter macrumors 68000

wwooden

help me out

how do you attach it so that it shows on the screen?

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I love iTunes and I hope it crushes the MSN service, but i do like how they can select the type of CD (MP3, Audio, etc.) within the process. I hate how iTunes make you choose int he prefernces and then rechoose in the preferences if you are doing something different. Why not make a default int he prefences (for whatever option you use most frequently) and provide a pull down in case you are doing something different.

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

He attached a .jpg, you attached a .pdf. JPGs will have a preview but PDFs will not.

I'm off to look for the pdf plugin for safari so I don't have to keep opening them in preview.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

pdf plug-in

pdf Plug-in

I just got it and it is really nice. And FYI you don't have to pay for it if you select for personal use in the inital set-up.

7. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Thanks for the link. It works great. I hadn't bothered getting it because I thought Preview was so fast but this is great.

8. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

wow so hard

yea man its sooooooo hard to burn a disc in windows...... look people, like 5 of those steps can be removed........ ok here it is in itunes

step 1: click music store
    step 2: if u want to create a playlist create one
    step 3: download the selected content using the search feature, u can search by artist or genre
    step 3: drag the songs to the playlist u want to burn
    step 5: arrange the songs the way u want em
    step 6: if u want u can customize what appears in the play list by selecting view options
    step 7: u can rate songs also, and change song names
    step 8: right click a song and change the info
    step 9; hit burn
    step 10: watch it burn

wow same diff people..............

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

As mentioned, I made a .JPG file. Do it by exporting your screen grab as a JPG out of Preview.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I think that you are joking, but your humor is a bit obscure.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think CubaTBird was joking (and neither was I) about iTunes being similarly complex. However, it comes down to how it's marketed - iTunes shows "click a button to get a CD," while the Windows version publishes a 9-step list.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

From those instructions, burning a CD on Windows is equally hard using iTunes. This is just another thread of people showing their Mac bias. Nothing to see, folks...

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Did you actually read any of the thread, or just make assumptions that we're all here thumping the Apple drum? :rolleyes:

If you had bothered to read the thread you will have noticed that two of us had already stated the fact that iTunes was equally complex, and most of the rest of the discussion was about thumbnails.

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Slight off topic question. How the heck do you burn a CD on a Mac!??! I'm not talking from iTunes. I'm just talking from the OS itself?

I know in Windows you drag the files you want to the CD and from the window you select burn but a friend and I were in a deserted Apple store at a Microcenter superstore and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to burn something. Even going through the online help we couldn't find any info on it. Can you burn a CD from the OS itself?!?! :(

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's easy. Insert the CD, choose "Open Finder" if asked what to do, or go to Finder if you aren't, then copy the files to the CD's icon, and try to eject the CD. Mac OS X will ask you if you want to burn the CD - choose Yes, and watch it burn and verify. After that's done, the burned disc will auto-mount so you can see what you just burned.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yup. You can also select File > Burn disc... from the Finder, or if you do this often, add the Burn Disk item to your Finder Window toolbar (View > Customize toolbar...).

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Thank you for clearing that up. Now I can say with some confidence that CubaTbird is full of it. The steps enumerated in wwooden's post started with music files that had been downloaded already. His nine steps are required to move music from a Windows hard disk to a CD. OTOH, the ten steps enumerated by CubaTbird included several steps used to download the files from iTMS to a computer. Not just that, he went all around Job's barn to do it.

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

insert cd.

drag files to cd.

ctrl + click and select burn... enjoy

peace.

19. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

May I ask what you were trying to burn? It's not the first time I've heard of someone trying to burn GarageBand to a CD/DVD.

Then again I've heard some pretty creative ways to steel stuff from the Apple store. Like write down you home IP address, go to the Apple store Apple+K and put in your IP address then drag the Applications folder to your HD, and wait while it uploads.

Another one I've heard of is where you go around to the back of your computer with your iPod, plug it into the FW port, then pretend to mess around with the computer while you transfer gigs worth of music onto our iPod, then get home and use a 3rd party app to remove it.

Prett creative stuff.

:D :D :D

20. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

People, people, People...

You have to realize that most of the people that use a pc do not even know how to burn a cd on a computer. I think it is a requirement that anything made for a pc requires that every step be explained. Anybody remember all the steps it takes to install any version of Windows. They have to assume that somebody doesn't know anything about computers.

Also remember, nobody reads the instructions unless something goes wrong

21. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Slightly off the main topic - but thread has revealed a question I have been thinking about since my switch.

Benefits of viewing pdf in Preview vs Safari / Browser?
    Before I just go ahead and download the link above to view pdf's in Safari - is there anyone that can think of major pros and cons for each?

Thanks.

22. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

full of it?

how am i full of it, im just stating how complicated it can be in itunes..... it CAN BE is hard OR AS EASY as windows....... its what u wanna make it ;)

23. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

After getting it a day ago I can say that I like it better than viewing a pdf from the web in preview.
    Pros: Instead of opening up a new window and a download window then double clicking on the file on the desktop and waiting for Preview to launch all you do is click on the link and a new safari window pops up and you can view the file. Its quicker than preview and more convient.
    Cons: None of the more advanced featues in Preview like the Export function and you can't crop.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Major benefit of viewing within Safari: no PDF's to clean up, weeks later, when you realize your download folder is cluttered with them.

You can always right/control click on the link to download it....

25. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Nothing. We were just dinking around with a G5 killing time at the nerd ...I mean computer store. :)