Look who's raising taxes: Republican-run states

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 18, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah states don't typically have the luxury of being able to run a deficit. So your federal tax rebate that looked so nice goes right back to the state government through you rather than directly. Doesn't it feel good to hold that money for a little while and remind yourself that if the tax'n'spend liberals were in power that you'd have to give that money back... right before you give it back.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, if folks want goodies from government, they gotta pay taxes, and as mac said, most states can't run deficits. State employees need pay raises, too, from time to time. And, of course, more programs mean more employees.

As far as Republicans being the present set of tax-raisers, I'm purely guessing that prior rate increases already in place (regardless of party) provided a few years of cushion. But, sooner or later, rising costs play that nasty game of CatchUp, popping the whoopie cushion.

I guess I'd add that it looks like the Repubes have learned the Demgame of buying votes. I'm curious to see how the bribing of us Old Farts with nearly-free pills and potions plays out in Florida's Geriatric Sector. After all, Gore played the same game, there, in 2000 in his Tallahassee speech.

By the bye, has anybody noted the difference between the Consumer Price Index and reality? And considered what that means as regards overhead? Gummint has overhead as well as does the private sector. Aside from rent, utilities and salaries, they gotta gas up all those cars they use to drive 20mph over the speed limit. :) Hard to keep up with a Border Patrol SUV when he's headed for coffee...

'Rat