Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
quote from the article:

"...and even on old hardware (our PIII 700 server with a 16MB Matrox G400) WindowFX performs snappily. Which is more than can be said for Aqua on all but the latest Apple hardware."

man, 700mhz isn't that old in our world. makes me feel so far behind. oh well, Windows still sucks and will continue to rip off Apple until the end of time. shame on them.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The thing that I though was interesting was...
If you're a PC user, you'll probably be giggling like a chimp on helium
Somehow that strikes me as a rather creepy statement. Especially with the number of PC users in the world.

---

As far as the speed they came up with this, rather amazing.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Look! Windows copying mac again!

Nope, this isn't windows copying mac at all. This is a third party taking something cool apple has done, and putting it on the PC. MS has nothing to do with it. And they've acheived similar results on far inferior hardware. Sometimes I wonder if apple has been too ambitious with OS X, that the hardware just isn't able to keep up with it yet. I think in the long run apple's plan is better and will yield fruit, but for right now, they seem to be treading water with things like this. Do windows and menus really need to be such a complex operation.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: Look! Windows copying mac again!

Originally posted by strider42
Nope, this isn't windows copying mac at all. This is a third party taking something cool apple has done, and putting it on the PC. MS has nothing to do with it. And they've acheived similar results on far inferior hardware. Sometimes I wonder if apple has been too ambitious with OS X, that the hardware just isn't able to keep up with it yet. I think in the long run apple's plan is better and will yield fruit, but for right now, they seem to be treading water with things like this. Do windows and menus really need to be such a complex operation.

i agree with you on this one. 32 bit scalable vector icons that bounce and swell may look cool but is it really necessary? it is very hungry and i think Apple's hardware is still not quite ready to work it 100%. yes, Jaguar is much faster but remember OS9? now that is FAST. i turn as much eye candy off as i can in X and it helps a bunch.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
What the hell....

I've only got a PC so I decided to give it a shot.
All it does is enable certain themes when you minimize (like the window spins around until it disppears, or it splits in half like opening doors) or it can make desktop icons transparent, and a couple other gimmicky things. Not all that impressive really. I ended up removing it cuz of that. Worked good, it was just kinda useless. Plus, it didn't look near as nice as the Genie effect.:p

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Oh well :eek:
I'll tolerate Windows until they steal column view, then I'm going into open revolt.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
stardock has been windows ui apps since like the mid/late 90s, there have been skins that made windows look like mac os...the founder of that company goes to a winblows forum (with quite a few mac users) that i go to....

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok. I did not realise it had been out for a while + yes its not M$ doing the copying, its a third party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.