Lookin For Some Free Apps.......

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SamIchi, Mar 21, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just went through the "official Must Have Apps" thread or whatever. Found alot of cool stuff! If you haven't read it you should (search it). I got;

Tiger Launch - Just what I was lookin for! I didn't need all the options in Quicksilver.

BackLight 2 - Cool Beans

Skype - Haven't really gotten to use it but will eventually, seems cool.

Clutter - All I can say is WOW.

Genius - I was lookin for somethin' like this. Very Cool. I wonder if the have a forum for this, so people can exchange and download files they have made. Or maybe we could just make a thread here. If enough people are interested, someone should make one.

Well with that said, let's get back on topic. I wanted to know if there's a program (well actually I know there are) that allow quick searches for the dictionary and the thesaurus. I'm always lookin up stuff, and find it annoying goin to dictionary.com and thesaurus.com just to look up a word. I looked on version tracker and there are quite a few, any suggestions? I know that umm Sherlock has a dictionary, I haven't really tried using that. What exactly does sherlock do anyways? Hah I just stumbled upon it today. Well enough ramblin'. What you guys think?

2. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Oh I was also lookin' for this app where it makes iTunes into a morning alarm or sumthin' along those lines? I read it in this forum somewhere. I forgot the name. If anyone knows, that'd be nice, Thanks!

3. evands macrumors member

I use iAlarm for that purpose.. there are probably a hundred apps that can do it.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, try sherlock. basically open sherlock, then click the stack of books in the toolbar to access the dictionary. it basically performs an online dictionary search and shows the results. if you use firefox, type dict blah, where blah=word query to look up something at dictionary.com. you could also try one of various konfabulator widgets.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is not a direct answer to your question, but I do this with search bar enhancers for the browser (AcidSearch for Safari and the built in capability in Firefox). I have Dictionary.com, Acronym Finder, Wikipedia, a medical dictionary, and a few translation dictionaries (wish there was one programmed for Firefox for Japanese! :( Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and do it myself....) among the things that are in my search list.

So, to find a definition, I click the search bar over to Dictionary, and type the word in. It works nicely, and it shouldn't take more than one extra click vs. using a dedicated tool.

But if you want a dedicated tool, I'd bet there's something nice for Konfabulator. :)