lookin for some help from my video gurus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by h0e0h, Feb 2, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Hey guys, as most of you have read, i had to edit a video using some clips from napoleon dynamite. Well, i had to do a couple of interviews in the clip and near the end of my video the audio and the video began not to line up. The guy who got me interested in digital video editing said that it was because my camera was set in 12-bit audio instead of 16-bit. Does anyone know if that is the only cause, or has anyone had a similar problem? I was using iMovie to edit. Help, because this isn't the first time i've had this problem.

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Question

How did you acquire the media?...

In my experiences it most likely isn't the 12-bit vs. 16-bit... It is probably a conversion issue, I often have this issue when bringing in items in final cut pro 3, from time to time. Let me know and I'll try yo do the best I can to help you... You may need to just cut the audio and replace it...

Hope someway I can help.

3. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

acquire this media? well if you mean how did i get it from camera to computer i imported through imovie, if you mean something else, im lost. I shot the video with my CanonZR60 then brought it home and imported straight into imovie. and when i play the clips in imovie they line up perfectly. When i export to iDvd however, they get off. it really kinda hacks me off...

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Your friend, I believe, is correct--I've read elsewhere there's an iDVD bug that causes the audio misalign if you record in 12-bit (which is an easy mistake to make, since for some reason some cameras default to 12-bit). I'm pretty sure that iLife 05 is supposed to fix it, if you don't mind paying for the upgrade--take a look at the reports over at MacInTouch.com if you want to be sure.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

All audio sources in a project should be converted to 16-bit 48,000Khz before you start working, or else any number of problems can creep in.

6. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

VHS to iMovie or FinalCutExpress

Hey, as long as our video conversion gurus are here, can I hijack a moment of time?

With a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo unit, I pretty much thought I was set to do training videos. I can record a computer screen directly on to DVD by "projecting" to the DVD Recorder (in either DV or DVD-Video mode), and for those things I videotape (with a standard VHS Recorder), I could convert them directly to DVD through the unit.

Silly me, I thought, "hey, I have it digital - I'm good to go."

But, as you all probably know and I learned, neither iMovie nor Final Cut will take video directly from the DVD, and my Mac won't even recognize a DVD-R done in DV format. :(

My research came up with two options.

1. Use software that pulls the .VOB files from the DVD apart to Quicktime video and AVI audio files (which can then be pulled into iMovie and FC).

2. Get one of those EyeTV (or whatever) devices where I can play the DVD or VHS tape to the computer and capture it there.

Either way, I'm afraid of what will happen to the video quality. Way too many conversions going on.

Any suggestions or knowledge of which of the above should maintain the best quality? (Aside from spending a non-existant budget to get a DV Video Recorder?)

Any suggestions owuld be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm kind of stumped and have this project at a stand-still.

Thanks!!!

7. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Hey man, you may want to check out this thread that i started a couple of nights ago. It really helped me and from what i understand you are having part of the same problem that i was. Good luck

8. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Handbrake

Hey, thanks, Bud! I'll give Handbrake a try tomorrow when I have my iMacG5 (which stays at work). It tends to work a wee bit faster than my Pismo (which now stays at home).

I'll let you know how it goes!

Though I'd still like to hear a comparison from someone who has taken both approaches (or who has another idea) and can assure me that one is better than another.

Thanks again!

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

www.dvdxdv.com DVDxDV is the answer.. there's a free trial so you can try it out (the trial version watermarks the video). I bought it and it's proven very valuable.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just an FYI 12-bit/32khz audio is just the devil period. It screws w/just about every NLE out there, and no one ever uses it. The only reason I can think it's even around is so manufacturers can say "Hey, look we have 4 channel audio" on their cameras.

Lethal

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I used 4 channel audio on the XL1 before but it's a real pain to capture as you can only capture 2 channels at any given time. I gave it up because I could hear the audio quality difference. I just use sync sound from a minidisc instead.

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yup, that's why I cringe when I see people refer to the 12-bit audio issue as an iMovie bug. It's not a bug. iMovie was made for 16-bit but Apple seems to have never bothered to point it out.

http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/audio/1001.shtml
    http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/index.shtml