Looking around in Font Book...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Oct 9, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

...I noticed that Apple has added some of the most common Windows fonts used on Web sites to Mac OS X, like Comic Sans MS (even if you don't have MS Office). Does anyone know which Mac OS X revision these first appeared in?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have always had those. Do you have Microsoft Office installed in any flavour? This automatically installs all the main Windows ones like Comic Sans, Times New Roman, Arial, etc if you don't already have them. I can't remember which ones I had before I first installed Office though.

3. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

aaaahhhhhhhhhh no.... not comic sands ms.... nasty font....

i had them back in os 10.0/10.1

4. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nope - Office hasn't been installed since I last reinstalled Mac OS X.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

But no 'comical' poster put up in the office would be complete without it.

It has that lovingly hand-crafted yet humorous appeal.

Arrgh, I've just checked – it's on my G4, 10.3.4...

6. iGav macrumors G3

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The amount of times I get asked to use Arial at work...

'It's so modern!', they exclaim -- congratulating themselves on their typographic taste.

bleuchh... (and it has an ugly 'a')

(sneaking in some Univers or Helvetica Neue while they're not watching)

8. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yeah I agree - Comic Sans is being horribly abused.

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I remember Comic Sans MS first cropped up in Microsoft 3D Movie Maker for Windows 95. We had it on our first PC (I was quite a bit younger then ;)). In essence this was a kids program made by Microsoft which allowed you to make your own "3D movies" (proprietary, I might add :rolleyes: ) but there was a very limited set of scenes and characters. It was a sort of game where you just selected music and sound effects or recorded your own voiceovers and then chose characters and placed them in your scene. It was quite good but limited, but more like a game than anything else. They even came out with a Nickelodeon version a year or so later.

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Oh, and yep, here is the proof...

Damn 3D Movie Maker.. :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I think that those fonts were bundled with IE. Are Apple still including it with the latest Macs?

12. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If it's included with Panther, it's on the latest Macs...

EDIT: Side note - I opted not to install IE when I last reinstalled Mac OS X, I haven't installed any fonts myself, and those fonts are still there...

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, but then IE is still in the box? The reason I ask is that Comic Sans was part of the "core fonts" package that MS used to give away for free. The complete set was:

Andale Mono, Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, Verdana and Webdings (Webdings).

It would make sense, if Apple still includes IE, to include its fonts too, but most likely in the regular font installation section rather than separately with IE.

14. andypop macrumors newbie

stay far, far away from Font Book!

Just stay out of it, and everything will be fine, really. Mess with it, and you're asking for trouble. I had to reinstall my OS because of that disaster.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lmao! putting the "sans" in comic sans...that font is really annoying. my friends use it and think they're being 'artistic"...my all-time favorite font is bauhaus 93

16. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

my english teacher last year made us type all our papers in arial or times new roman and i always chose arial cause it's significantly bigger in a size 12 :D

17. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hey cool - why did you make that in Comic Sans MS font? I can do that too, you know... As far as I know, all new Macs come with Panther and IE.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Apple probably includes fonts like Comic Sans and Times New Roman because they are so commonplace on the web, etc, and to make compatibility with Windows easier (and not to allienate Windows switchers). It's not really that big a deal, it's just a shame that fonts such as Comic Sans have been overused and also used professionally in places where it is not particularly suited.

19. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Given the thread topic, how could I resist? :D By the way, does anyone else find it just a little bit silly that MacRumors uses Microsoft Verdana everywhere?
    Yes, by why would you want to?
    I was hoping they might quietly make it go away now that they have an alternative browser.

20. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think IE may very well disappear from the Mac OS X installer upon the release of Tiger. Besides, we have Firefox for those sites that refuse to work with Safari.

21. belair macrumors 6502

belair

That type reminds me of David Brent in the Office series.

The problem with microsoft is that they own the world. If they decide comic sans is a coooooool type, their more than questionable idea of taste is forced upon every windows user in the world.
    And don't get me started on Arial. They just copied everything they could about Helvetica and not get a lawsuit for the copyrights.
    I say bring real fonts to the people. Helvetica, Frutiger, Trade Gothik, DIN, Optima, Futura, Eurostyle, Gill, Bembo, Baskerville, …
    REAL FONTS TO THE PEOPLE!

22. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

To be fair, I quite like Verdana and Trebuchet MS, although Tahoma (as default font on Windows since 1998) is getting tiresome now. Mind you, I never liked Chicago much, which was the System 1-7 font. I guess they had to keep classic Mac somewhere, which is why the iPod uses that font!

23. belair macrumors 6502

belair

If I remember correctly Chicago was developped espacially for the Macintosh.
    In the days they had to adapt the type to the low resolution screens. Thats why Chicago looks so thick and bulky.
    It must have been a real challenge for the typographers, to design this completely new form of type from the ground up…