Looking for a 15" PowerBook, but I need your help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ichoosedeath, Jul 3, 2005.

1. ichoosedeath macrumors regular

ichoosedeath

Hello all,

I just recently sold my Snow iBook G3 800Mhz, and I already have the itch for something new. I am really in the market for something with a bigger screen; the 15.2" Powerbook is looking like my prime candidate.

Now that being said. I don't have the $1999 to drop into a new PB. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a used machine (at least it will be new to me!). As with the lot of us, money is a big factor in what I am going to buy. What I am asking of you, the MacRumors community, is to help me figure out what will work out best for me.

All that I am hoping for is something that will run Tiger with relative Fluidity (Icon Zooming, Genie Effect, it's all about the *eye-candy*), and run with enough power for good ol' fashioned eMailing, Web Surfing, and possibly some web page editing and occasional photoshopping. I am looking for all this in a package in the sub-$1000 range :eek:

I am thinking something in the TiBook DVI Family would work just fine. Perhaps something in the 667Mhz to 800MHz range? Does that seem about right?

At any rate, I appreciate all your knowledge and help. Thank you very much!

-Drew

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. ichoosedeath thread starter macrumors regular

ichoosedeath

4. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

If you can wait.. i'd also recommend saving up for a Refurb. PB off the Apple site. If that's not going to happen... then look for a 15" Ti DVI model..

Make sure you read up on Logic board problems to specific models..
    I'm not too familiar to them, but i've read they've had their issues.

If screen size isn't a factor, maybe try looking for a 12" PB. I've seen some go for 1000 or so.. but that might be pushing your budget..

5. ichoosedeath thread starter macrumors regular

ichoosedeath

I just got a rather good deal on a PB TiBook 867MHz with 512MB RAM in it.. Let's hope it's a winner :)

Thanks for all of your help everyone, it was much appreciated!
    -Drew

6. GregUofMN macrumors regular

You can always finance a new one (or possibly a referbished one) through apple.com. I don't see why more people don't do this. Most people don't have a couple grand to plop down on anything, much less a computer.

Therefore, $60-80/month isn't too bad. I have no idea what your income is, but if you make at least $10/hr, all you have to do is pick up one extra full time shift a month and that baby is paid for. Remember, you can always pay it off early if you get the money up front.

My wife and I just bought our first house and we had to buy a ton of new furniture and that's what we did. We wanted to get all the stuff that we really wanted without comprimising anything. We both pick up one extra shift a month and that will pay it all off in a couple months.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

SKI-U-MAH! hehe. Is that how it goes? I'm just a freshman.

That's also what I would do, but the 12" is also a great machine, then you can finance a larger monitor later. I guess the only thing that scares me about that Apple financing is the interest.

8. GregUofMN macrumors regular

Yup, that's right. Congrats on coming to the U. Have you decided on a major? If you ever go into Architecture and have any questions, let me know.

Also, I think the financing is 6mo interest free.

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Before I got my $500 pawn shop iBook (luckiest find EVER!!!), I wanted to get a new one on apple.com and finance it. "$5 a month sounds awesome!"

I asked someone I know who works for Apple, and he says that they totally gouge you on the financing.
    They said it'd be better to put on a credit card and use THEIR financing rates! (wooow...)

You might want to look into the fine print of the financing deal.. I don't want you getting stuck with 40% interest or something!

PS
    enjoy the mac, whichever one you get! :) :) :)

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Thanks! I have narrowed it down to English or Psychology or both. Either way I think I have many years of student debt to look forward to. ;)

But, back on topic... 867 TiBook, sounds just right for those needs. The Mobility 9000 should still get the job done, and 1MB of L3 with extra screen space should be a nice jump from ye olde iBook.

That PanzerBook should serve you well. ;)

11. ichoosedeath thread starter macrumors regular

ichoosedeath

Thank you sir.. And don't anyone worry.. I'll be sure to let everyone know if it pisses me off.. That being said; good luck with school. Just don't go for Comp Sci.. It's as fruitless as going for communications...ha!

12. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

It doesn't take long on Apple.com/uk to find their interest rate to be 13.9%. I assume the USA interest rate isn't too much greater, if at all.

Anyway, 6mo interest free.

andy.