Looking for a 3D mouse (Spaceball) for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cutsman, Mar 30, 2007.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

I am in the market for a Spaceball for my C2D iMac. I'll be primarily using SolidWorks and Unigraphics under windows. I understand these spaceballs can be used for other non-CAD programs... but I'm not really sure what they would allow you to do in regular programs that a regular mouse would not. Can anyone share their experiences?

I just recently found 3dconnexion's Space Navigator and it appears to be compatible with Windows as well as OS X. Can't argue with the price either... USD59 (CAD69).

(EDIT) Link added: http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3a1d.php

Does anyone here have any experience with this model or perhaps can recommend an alternative? Oh ya, I'd like for it to look nice too (if possible)... wouldn't want to ruin my otherwise nice iMac setup. Thanks!

2. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Hmm... I use solidworks in addition to maya and alias (depending on what Im designing) and I cant really see what this thing can do better than a regular mouse + key commands.

For 60 bucks though, could be worth a shot, but I dont feel like this tool is designed for professional users.

3. cutsman thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess it really comes down to what one prefers and what one is accustomed to. For me, I use Unigraphics at work with a spaceball and couldn't imagine doing any CAD work without one.. hence why I'm looking for one at home. I'm sure I can get used to using mouse + hotkeys, but to me, manipulating your model and views is a little quicker and more efficient with a spaceball... for me anyways. :)

But like you said, for $60, it might be worth a shot.

4. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Well, if you get one, let me know...I havent tried anything like it personally.

I will say this though: go out and get yourself a WINDOWS USB keyboard. I use the aforementioned programs on my macbook pro, and key combinations are hard enough to remember, the fact that the cntrl/alt/apple-windows keys are not in the same position in each OS, is frustrating for me at least.

Then again, I guess you could use a keymapping app. I never tried, with the laptop i needed a mouse+keyboard setup anyway.