Looking for a 5"-5.5" tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by EmaDaCuz, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I'm thinking of replacing my iPod Touch 4G with something bigger. The 4G touch is great, but the screen is way to small as I need to read some PDFs too.

At first, I was about to get a 7" RIM Playbook (129 pounds for the 64GB model!) but I was not impressed. The new iPod Touch is not much of an improvement in terms of screen size. But I litterally fell in love with the Galaxy Note; I think it has the best screen size and aspect ratio on the market. Still portable, but big enough for most of the productivity tasks. Also love the possibility of drawing/taking notes on the display. I would have bought it staright away, but I do not need a smartphone.
    Is there any tablet about there with similar specifications?

Thanks for your help

PS: I wish the iPad mini -if it ever released- would be of this size and not a 7" tablet.

2. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    One option is to find a used Note and just never turn on the phone side.

Samsung also made a 5", and now a 4.2", tablet called the Galaxy Player.

The 5" is only $220, but it also only has 800x480 screen, I think.

The new 4.2" Player is $180-$200, and supposedly has a better screen.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.
    I think that the finding a used Note would be the best option. The 4.2" screen is still quite small, while the screen of the 5" is indeed a crappy 800x480.
    I can wait a bit more, hopefully the Note I will sellat a lower price now that the Note II is coming out.

4. macrumors 68000

Note 2 in airplane mode.

5. macrumors 6502

definitely note 2