Looking for a compositor...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kingsly, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Well, until further notice, I cant figure out Shake. While I plan to do it eventually, I am on a bit of a schedule with my indie film and need someone smarter than me to do some light compositing.

The pay is a compositor credit (i.e. completely free). ;) :eek:

(I am also looking for other crew positions. Anyone in the LA area feel free to PM me!)

Info about the film:
    www.mariposaprod.com

Official website of the film (not available until at least Friday):
    www.firstshortfilms.com

Thanks! :)

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, I'm not extremely experienced, but I've started using Shake and know the basics of keying and roto as well as some tracking... I also have extensive After Effects experience. What exactly are you looking to do? i.e. How heavy is the compositing work you're looking at doing? I might not be able to do all of it but I'd love to help if possible and am fine with working for free. What are the deadlines involved? Feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail: killmoms at gmail dot com

3. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Well at the moment I just need to erase some copy-written logos that I forgot to tape up until about halfway through the shoot. (oops! :eek: )

I would also love some levels adjustment (I tried using the pixel analyzer and it looked fantastic. Problem is I couldn't figure out how to do it for the entire sequence.)

There is also one short clip that could probably use a stabilizer. Again I got as far as tracking the shot and stabilizing it, but then couldn't figure out how to zoom in to avoid the black borders as the frame wiggles around.

On some later shoots I will probably need more compositing work. This is just the teaser trailer. :)

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, I'd love to help out if I could, it sounds like stuff I'd be able to accomplish with little trouble (maybe resorting to tutorials, or AE for a few things I don't know mostly the pixel analyzer)...

Basically, I came out here to be a compositor but had no compositing training in college, mostly editing-focused. So I taught myself AE and the basics of Shake during college on other projects. If you'd be willing to let me work on it it'd make for great experience and probably good material for my demo reel as well.

What format are you working in? DV? HDV? ...Something bigger? :D You can take it to PM if you'd like. You can see my demo reel (mostly college stuff) at http://www.mattkillmon.com/

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I could'nt carre less weather you use AE or Shake, as long as it looks good (which, judging by your reel, it will!:D )

I am running HDV 720p24. I hopefully will be able to send you a rough cut later tonight.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Awesome. I'm still at my day job at the moment, but tonight PM me your AIM name (or whatever, I'm on all major messaging services). I also run an FTP at home, so you can upload your stuff directly to me once we get in contact.

720p24, eh? Nice. I've composited on some DVCPRO 720p24 stuff that someone shot with an HVX200 onto P2 cards before, that was fun—nice looking stuff out of that camera. Looking forward to working with you.

Also, a friend of mine in the area (who I got a job at the same company I work at) is looking for production work during the day or evening. He works nights now, but is looking for either a second job or the ability to help with production on something. He's looking to be a director, but is familiar with all areas of production and is a good editor too. We worked together on 7 or 8 projects in college, and he's done work on set with some commercial production too. Great guy, I'll hook you up with him if you're still looking for help on shoots. :)

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Sounds great! I'll PM you my aim ASAP.