Looking for a 'cool' iPod dock

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wPod, Sep 29, 2006.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I hate to see my brand new 80GB iPod sitting on its back. i think it looks much better sitting up for everyone to see. but i honestly hate the apple dock. my iPod is black, the dock is white, the two just dont go together. it would be cooler if the dock was black, and ive been debating getting some spray paint and 'moding' my dock. even then its just a plain simple brick that just doesnt seem cool to me. i would accept something that i just sat my iPod on, doesnt have to hook to the computer or anything. i want to use it at work where i sit and do engineering design/CAD work all day. although if the dock is cool enough i would get a second one to hook up to my computer at my apt! the only thing extra i would want on it would be power so i could run the backlight all the time while it sits at my desk, just so i could glance down and see the artist/title and album art. is there anything like this on the market? all the docks i seem to be funning across now all have like video and audio and all these extra controls built into them to hook up to TVs and stereos. i dont care about that, i just want something that looks cool!

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

3. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I remember about a month back someone posted tyheir setup in the Mac Setup thread in the picture gallery. Their dock was like an oversized LEGO man and looked really cool. I'll have a look for it.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

buy an Apple dock and spray paint it black.

make sure to get shiny spray paint. also make sure you cover up the IR sensor when you're painting so you don't lose that function.

i've never done this, but i figure it can't be too hard, especially with something as small and simple as a dock.

you could buy an Apple dock and surround it with Legos - black or any other color to suit your style.

5. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

hmm, i have done a bit of modding in my time:
    mac mini
    powerbooks and ibook
    so a little spray paint on my dock would be a snap.

hmmm, i do like legos, i might hunt around for that dock, or if you find it let me know!

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

7. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

heh, cool. i think i might try that with the dock box i have. i dont think i could quite destroy my beautiful iPod box though. (i still have the original box from my 1st gen iPod!!!) then use my firewire charger from my 1st gen iPod with the firewire cable from my 4th gen and could have a charging dock.

8. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

ok, well it took me some time b/c i got busy with midterms at school, but i finally got an iPod dock built. i didnt build it in the dock box, b/c i didnt like the idea of having a dock made of cardboard. i wanted something stronger, like metal! i think it would be awsome to make a CNC machined dock, but seeing that i dont have a machine shop at my disposal, i opted for the Altoids tin iPod dock! i havent seen one before, but you can pretty much find anything on the internet made out of an altoids tin!! so here is mine, i made it black to match my iPod!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac