Looking for a decent but cheap digital camera...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zion Grail, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Zion Grail macrumors regular

... that's iPhoto-compatible. I won't be able to afford it for a while, but I'd like to know what I'm shooting for (no pun intended). I'm not a professional photographer (duh), I don't know how to use Photoshop (nor do I have it), I just want to take some decent-looking pictures and have them on my PowerBook for my own personal use. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. dxp4acu macrumors regular

I don't know if it is still available anywhere, but you might could find a Epson PhotoPC 750Z for cheap. I got mine in 2000 for 360 bucks. It has been an awesome camera! Takes great pictures and is very durable through anything. It is 1.3 MP, but it takes great shots.

Check out my website on my signature, all pics taken by that camera.

Should be cheap now. It is a serial port camera, which means no USB, but it doesnt matter, as USB Card readers are only 25-35 bucks. They rock!!

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've used Fuji's FinePix series in the past and have always had good results.

http://homepage.mac.com/time_pilot/PhotoAlbum15.html

and

http://homepage.mac.com/time_pilot/PhotoAlbum16.html

I used a FinePix for both of these. They are relatively cheap, take very nice pictures, and although the camera name doesn't show up under iPhoto (just says USB card device or something) I've had no problem whatsoever with them.

Hope that helps in your decision. I know buying digital cameras can be difficult :(

5. dynamicd macrumors 6502

You should probably specify what "cheap" means to you. Some people might think of a cheap camera as being 350 while others might say half that. I would recommend the canon sd100 which is around 300 i believe.

6. Zion Grail thread starter macrumors regular

My budget limit will likely be around $250. I'm a college student here.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'd go for a Fuji FinePix ..but I happen to like them a lot :D the lower-end ones are in that price range.

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Go and try the Nikon Coolpix 2100. I am about getting one myself. You can find a very good review HERE