Looking for a display to use in portrait orientation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amin, Nov 23, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

On my mac pro at work, I have a 20-inch cinema display, which I like quite a bit. However, the vertical height is not enough for a full page of text. I would like to get a second display which I can put in vertical/portrait orientation and use to view PDF format papers (scientific literature) with room for a single page of text plus the page selector tab on the right in Preview.

Here are my questions:
    1) Can the Mac Pro use one display in landscape orientation while a second display is in portrait?
    2) What size second display will I need?
    3) Do any of the Dell displays rotate to give a portrait orientation?
    4) Anyone have a specific recommendation? Less expensive is better, and looks are not a priority here.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

(1) Yes, I'm pretty sure it can.
    (2) Heh, I have no idea. What size can you afford? :D
    (3) Most of the Dells do. The 2407WFP and 2007WFP do. I'm not sure that the 30" Dell does.
    (4) See (3)....

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

4. islandman macrumors 6502

I'd recommend at least a 19" monitor, capable of 1600x1200 resolution for your needs. Any recent Dell will do.

5. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Do the Dells need a separate stand to rotate, or do they just swivel? Would 17" fit a full page plus menu bar and preview tab?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, they have a pivot hinge on the back. As for the full page... I've had good experience in portrait mode on a 19" for that, but I'd think the 20" WS's would be a much better buy... My guess is that you would not be happy with the zoom level of a full page on vertical orientation on a 19". I don't know quite how constrained your budget is, though.