looking for a font creation tool...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eyeon, Jul 7, 2005.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Hi all...

I just found an OLD (like, from the 40s) typewriter that I wanted to type out all of the characters onto a sheet of paper, scan it, and create a font with the characters. I have Adobe CS2 (including Illustrator, which now has the ability to immediately make any bitmap into a vector image!).

I just don't know what program would do that at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

We used to use Fontographer. But I think it may have been discontinued on the Mac. Anyone know? Not a cheap program, IIRC.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sad to say, it is not the '90s anymore. Macromedia has not updated Fontographer in years. The good news is that it has a new home. Fontographer has been taken over by FontLab, which seems to be the only remaining developer of commercial font editors. On the upside, FontLab has exactly what you want. Go there.

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Hi

To go with FontLab, you need ScanFont! This automatically creates the 'glyphs', and then sends it to FontLab to create the actual font.

I'm not sure if it is still the latest issue, but Digital Creative Arts magazine had a typography special, with a full font creation software (which runs with classic) worth £140, with a step by step guide as well. I also came with a demo of Fontlab and ScanFont, and some other bits and bobs.

Hope this helps

:20ROGERSC::