Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Ok folks, bear with me.

I'm looking for a font, and not only do I not know the name of it, but I don't have an example.

I've been seeing it a lot lately. It's a sans-serif, all caps. What I like so much, is that some of the characters slant into each other.

Something like the A in the attached font, but overall more "plain" maybe.

I know this is a stretch, sorry. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 272

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
but it's been making a small comeback recently.

Small? :eek: well that's one way of putting it. :p

I thought their 'death' was more due to a particular case of copyright and the fact that they had been digitally neglected, as opposed to overuse. Clean sans never go out of vogue. ;) :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This is an example from 1972. I guess it looks clean in the sense of a tidy salvage yard, but it's a catastrophe without restraint (and few showed any).

Attachments

• bookcover.jpg
    bookcover.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 65

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
And as you can see, when considered properly, it is nothing other than absolutely divine. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
And as you can see, when considered properly, it is nothing other than absolutely divine. :)
Divine is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but this box really is another example of a designer who missed the point. To start, the wrong 'A' is used in "STANLEY" (most common problem with this face other then ligature overload, no one gets what the slants are for). Second, and probably the larger sin, is that no attempt was made to build an overall structure with all those uprights and angles.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I thought their 'death' was more due to a particular case of copyright and the fact that they had been digitally neglected, as opposed to overuse. Clean sans never go out of vogue. ;) :D

From my pov, (I started started studying design in the 70s, they were my high school and college days), Avant Garde was vastly overused then, like iMeowbot said it was everywhere. By the 80s designers wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, it would make your work look so last decade in a hurry. That's more than likely why it was digitally neglected for a long while. Many of the type houses (typesetters, remember those?) had Avant Garde but people were not using it a whole lot since the 70s. Of course you leave something alone for 25 years and it becomes hot again. I agree clean sans never go out of style, it just makes jumps between a small handful of families over time. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.