Looking for a good, fast, private way to share videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, Jan 20, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2005
    I'm a film editor (hence why I'm posting in here) and I'm doing work for a client 2,000 miles away, and I need a good, quick, and private way to get videos to him. I CANNOT use YouTube or any of those, as they MUST be private. The videos are .mov and 320*240. I have .mac, and I've been uploading them to my iDisk, but that can be rather slow, and he has a PC, and it always tries to download them from the link I give him, and they never play. Plus, the built-in sync never works for me well or quickly. Is there a better way to get the vids to him?

Thanks! :apple: (just discovered that emoticon, I couldn't resist. :) )
  2. Stacc macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2005
    Google video has a feature where you can declare a video private therefor not making it show up on any searches. It is very easy to use and supports all types of files. It would also allow your client to easily view them.
  3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    ^^ free web hosting^^^

or if the file is not to big; send it to him through You Send It

Its a better way to send large files :) up to 1Gb I think. Very handy!

Good Luck!
  4. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    How about Bittorrent, just email him the .torrent file, and seed away...
  5. tehybrid macrumors member

Nov 21, 2006
  6. VideoTour macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2007
    New Mexico
    I'll second Texas04's recommendation for yousendit.com
    We use this service (2GB files with the free sign-up) all of the time
    It's easy, fast, and reliable for FTP
  7. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2004
    There's also Xdrive (recently purchased by AOL). They offer 5GB online storage for free with private sharing (you tell who you want to share it with, then they get an e-mail). You can use your AIM screenname, or create a new one.

I tested uploading/dowloading an 40MB mp3 file and the download speed was over 2MB/sec, so it seems fast, at least the first time through.
  8. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Check out the AMD Live Media Vault. You can upload a video, and then thru the system send him the link so he can see it online. You can also send him the download link, or send an attachment directly from the site. He can also upload files to you if necessary. You get 25GB (with some limitations on download bandwith) for Free.

This is the solution we are currently using at the office to transfer large software installations (DVD images) between ourselves when we are on the road. So far, I'm happy with it (we have the ELITE subscription, which is around $90/year, to get the 25GB/download per month).
  9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    I use Pando for this type of thing, but I believe they have a 1GB per transfer limit. Not sure what file sizes you're dealing with here.

I use it a lot with my friend who is on a PC and it works fine. You do have to download Pando software to use it though.