Looking for a good image editing program...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickyj182, Oct 16, 2006.

1. nickyj182 macrumors regular

nickyj182

2. relimw macrumors 6502a

The obvious choice is Photoshop, if you want free but good I'd go with GIMP.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or if you want something more Mac like than the GIMP and still free Seashore is well liked.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'll second on Seashore, a light application that does what I want. Photoshop costs too much, I tried downloading GIMP but it seemed way too complicated just to download, needed to download loads of different things, so I gave it a miss.

5. relimw macrumors 6502a

Ah, right forgot that gimp was still X11 only. So if you have no desire to mess with X11, Seashore would be the better route for you to experience the magic that is gimp ;)

6. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I'm partial to Graphic Converter . It costs like $30 bucks and has a very full feature set. I use it alongside Photoshop for its contact sheet function and for the fact that it will open any file that ever remotely resembled an image in a former lifetime.

Also, if you don't want to foot the bill of the full Photoshop, there's always Photoshop Elements which does a lot of what Photoshop will, but at 1/6 of the price.

7. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

8. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

Take the plunge and either pony up for a copy of Photoshop, or save some bucks and get a copy of Photoshop Elements (can be found for VERY cheap).

The more editing you do, the more you'll realize that Photoshop is the inevitable end of the road in terms of quality and tools.

If you do strictly photography editing, you might actually be pretty happy with Aperture (or Adobe Lightbox, which is still free in Beta for a while). The editing tools in those are pretty reliable.

9. rusbo.uk macrumors newbie