Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
I'm thinking of getting a subscription to a Mac Magazine. I checked out the newstands briefly and MacWorld seemed pretty good.

Any Recommendations?

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
MacAddict!

MacWorld is OK...but pretty boring. Macaddict has great how to articles which span the gamut from using Mail to Photoshop tricks to Terminal/Unix commands. Just a much higher quality magazine in my opinion.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
Hmmm, they are not too expensive.... I could always get both. Thanks.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
when i registered my mac i got a choice of a free 6 month subscription to macworld, macaddict, or something else (forget what) and i chose macworld. it didnt come 'til the april issue but the reviews are great and ALL the ads are mac/ipod related. may's has a review of the new powerbooks and some popular im clients. the powerbook review is interesting because in most of their benchmarks the 17" beats the 15" 1.67 by a slight to not-so-slight margin. wonder if the 15 had 128 vram? maybe the 100gb disk is faster than the 80gb one? sorry to go off on a tangent.
edit: is byte still in print? ive read some old issues (bound at the library lol) and they were quite interesting.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I kind of like iCreate. Mostly, I think, because it's the first Mac magazine I've ever bought ;) It had some interesting tutorials, at least.

It's a UK mag. Don't know if it's available in the US.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
hmm

I tend to like Macaddict more than Macworld, bc it feels more hands on.

I am sceptical about both when it comes to software reviews:
Many times they both use the same screenshots, which are posted on the back of the software package. Sometimes the reviews sound like adverts rather than a review by someone that actually tested the product.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
I subscribe to MacUser (UK) and I always enjoy reading it. One good thing is that it comes out every two weeks so the news is not too old. The articles are good and has a good mix of news/tutorials/history/comment.

I really like iCreate too. Has lots of masterclasses and tutorials and is a bit more fun and modern than MacUser. One of the features they have each month is where they show a famous person's desktop - its made up of topical jokes and always make me laugh.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
macaddict!!! for life :D ....the discs that come with each issue are all really good most of the time, comes with free fun games every once and a while

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
buryyourbrideau said:
macaddict!!! for life :D ....the discs that come with each issue are all really good most of the time, comes with free fun games every once and a while
Another vote for MacAddict here. I've found lots of little tidbits of useful info in there (including saving myself a trip to a DriveSavers.com)

Plus, the Staff Video is usually good for a few laughs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.