Looking for a handyman: changing hinges and display cable on Powerbook Ti

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by svejar, Oct 16, 2004.

1. svejar macrumors member

Jan 18, 2004

I've been offered a 500MHz PB Ti for $200, but it will need some fixing up.

1) The right display hinge is broken
    2) The display cable will need replacement

Since I'm in need of a "project", I'm thinking about going for it. I know the new hinges and cable will set me back another $300, but that's not a real problem. I guess I just want to hear what you people are saying: am I throwing good money out the window? Am I a complete idiot to even think about going ahead with what seems like rather extensive surgery on a 3 y.o. PB?
  2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Speaking from experience (I've replaced both the hinges and display cable for a TI PB) unless you are really desprate for a project, don't do it. If you've never replaced either of these before it can be very time consuming. Also if you don't have the take appart technical manual for that specific PB you are risking hurting other components in the process. The Hinge is a pain in itself, and the fact that the display cable is extreamly delicate and has to be fed through the hinge and into the display makes it even more a pain.

If however you find yourself with a good deal of spare time on your hands, the cash burning a hole in your pocket and an ich for a chalenge go for it and Good Luck.
  3. powerbookmedic macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    Huntsville, AL
    The repair isn't difficult in terms of being involved, but it is difficult in the sense that there is a high likelihood of damage to the casing or possible the display. If you don't mind cosmetic issues with the casing... (not looking like it was right out of the box) then a hinge repair is the cost effective solution (the other solution being a replacement display) You could also send it in and have someone else (such as us) perform the hinge repair for you.

We sell these parts at our online store, PowerbookMedic.com

Powerbook Parts, Repairs, Upgrades, & More
  4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    500MHz TiBook, fully functional, for $500. It's as simple as that. It's a great deal, just requiring a bit of work on your part. I would have taken that deal without a second thought. Hell, I opted to build a Franken-Pismo just because I think the machine is cool.

As for the difficulty of the procedure, if you're careful and gentle, as you should be when dealing with ALL computer parts, you won't run into an issue. A service manual would be ideal, but isn't absolutely necessary. The machine is working, and a steal, really. Why not go for it?