looking for a laptop.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joey4127, Jan 10, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

I'm switching from my pentium 3 toshiba to something newer. I can't afford anything fancy. I decided i will get a nice little ibook. I was thinking of getting it at www.macmall.com. This is the one i was thinking of getting http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~401984.asp I want a Super drive but it;s a bit too expensive. I will mostly use it for video editing. Please help me decide

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The iBook is a great computer, but for video editing, be sure to max your RAM and your HD. If you plan to burn DVDs you will want that Superdrive. Otherwise you're going to end up with an external HD and an external DVD burner. Save and get what you need and don't go cheap.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to MR and make yourself at home!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Thanks.

Where should I shop for my Ibook?? Other that apple.com who else gives student discounts?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'll defer to someone else on the student discount, its been a while since I was in class. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

5. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you plan to us iDVD, which comes bundled with iLife, you will need the internal Superdrive, or it won't work. I believe that there are some 'hacks' out there to make this possible, but it is not recommended by Apple :eek:

I'm no expert, but I believe if you are using FC Express (or something similar) and Toast, you will be OK.

Should be no problem if you are just going to use iMovie or QT for your video.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

I'm gonna try and get the superdrive :cool:

8. aoasus macrumors newbie

just some thoughts

I'm sure you'd love this laptop, but keep a few things in mind.

You're going to run out of HD space right quick with a 60 gig HD. I have 80 in my PB and I'm allways out of space. After installing everything you'll be lucky to get 3 hours of video on that drive.

I went with a PB as it had a cardbus slot so I could add an extra FW bus to connect anoter HD (120 Gig) for digitizing video straight to.

I doubt it makes much difference to you, but it won't run Motion either.

My 15 inch feels cramped after working on a pair of 18 inch moniors all day long too :rolleyes:

Remember to check the refurb area of apple too. You might be able to pick up a older PB or get a better deal on the iBook.

As long as you're OK with these things, go for it!

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, definitely spring for the biggest hard drive you can get if you're using it for video editing.

10. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Whats Motion?