Looking for a Mac - eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mwpeters8182, Jun 12, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I recently had the great experience of having my B&W die on me (probably my fault, I was putting in an upgrade chip, and now it doesn't work - won't even boot from the original G3). It acts like there is no CPU in the machine. My friend, who is pretty mac-hardware savvy, seems to think it is the logic board. This means, of course, that I now need a mac.

I'm a senior engineering major, so I do need a little bit of power, but not a whole lot. I also have a PC laptop (Celeron 1.13 GHz - not the fastest thing ever, but still pretty speedy). I am looking at the Combo or Superdrive eMac. Does anyone have any experience with these machines? They've looked pretty good to me using them for 10-15 mins in CompUSA. Especially on the low end, they seem to me like a much better deal than the flat panel.

Any input would be great

Thanks

MP

2. macrumors regular

eMac

I use a 700mhz eMac here at work and I can say that it's a fantastic computer. You may get screen flicker in the higher resolution (1280x960) but other than that my experience with the eMac has been favorable. I really put it to work here also, I run Photoshop, inDesign, Flash, Fireworks, Dreamweaver etc... and it handles it like a champ. One recommendation I would give you (along with probably anybody else) is to get as much ram as you can ... it makes a huge differece.. I have a gig of ram in the eMac.

So if you were planning on buying one of the newer eMacs I would say go for it..

Cheers,

Scott

3. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Go ahead and get the eMac. While it isn't Apple's prettiest offering (okay, it's downright freaky looking), it's affordable and it gets the job done. And you can't go wrong with a SuperDrive.

Just be warned: while the iMac can be picked up and carried around by its neck, the eMac weighs about 50 pounds.

4. macrumors 68030

medea

go ahead and get the emac, it should suit you just fine.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot for the info, i appreciate the help. I got a call today, the company I bought the zif from said that they will get it working free of charge in my computer -- if that works, i won't have to get a new mac -- i can wait till i have a little more cash saved up. But thanks for your help

Matt