looking for a modem/router that can run on battery backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by furcalchick, Feb 24, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

Dec 19, 2006
    South Florida
    here in floriduh, we get brownouts from failure power and light almost every week for no reason expect to annoy us and to jack up the bills. when the power goes off, so does the modem and router, and everything has to reset itself. this can cause some problems with the internet lasting until i restart the computer (macbook). so right now, i'm looking for a modem and router that has a battery backup in it during brownouts so that we have less of these resets. we have broadband btw.

can you help me? thanks.
  2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think there's other things you can do besides battery backups, and I'm not even sure that would work anyway.

Your internet probably stops working because your Mac loses its IP address from the router. You can request an IP from the router just by going into Network in System Preferences, double clicking on the interface you use, and clicking the Renew DHCP button.

I also don't think the battery backup would necessarily work because the local cable/dsl nodes are probably out too. Think about it: they need power at those nodes to get the internet signal to your home. If that gets interrupted, your modem and router will still have to resync even if they never lost power.

Finally, if you still really want to try this, there's no special modem and router you need to buy. Just buy a battery backup, that's the whole point of them: you can plug anything into them. I really don't think that's worth the expense though because I doubt it will solve your problem. And no one makes a modem or router with an integrated battery backup for the reasons mentioned above...if the power is out, so is your internet service.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Get one of these.

Battery backup, over- and under- voltage protection, ethernet and coax surge suppression, etc. It'll run a modem/router for some time.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Why not just get a UPS with AVR?

A cheap $20 UPS will likely blow chunks, since they do not correct for bad power or brownouts.