looking for a new digital camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chibianh, May 16, 2005.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I know we have a few photography buffs here on MacRumors so i thought I'd come here asking for advice. I had an older Nikon point and shoot camera that recently stopped working and I'm in the market for a new digital camera.

I want something more than just a point and shoot type camera. But I am by no means an expert photographer. I just want something I can take decent to high quality pictures with (close ups, long exposures, etc.), but can take with me on vacation to do some point and shoot.

Would anyone have any recommendations? My knowledge of digital cameras and cameras in general is very limited, but I would like to learn and get more into photography. I will be doing some research myself as well. Thanks.

2. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Thanks. How do you like that camera? I assume you do professional photography for a living as that camera costs more than my car and unless I win the lottery, I will not be able to afford one.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*shakes head* :rolleyes: Nice new avatar, though, Gary! :)

There are a bunch of recommendation threads on cameras already -- if you look at any of the ones in which DSLRs are being discussed, you might be really interested in the non-DSLR recommendations people make in there -- things like the Canon PowerShot Pro1 and similar Nikons, etc. Those recommendations were usually completely inappropriate in the original thread :rolleyes: but for your needs & wants, they might be a lot better. There are a bunch of fixed lens "prosumer" cams that tend to have fair optics (although not in DSLR league) with extremely wide zoom ranges (like 10x). They take much better pics than most point and shoots, and they let you do more of the perspective-shifting kind of stuff that DSLRs do, so they might be a good compromise.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

http://www.steves-digicams.com I like the Fuji stuff, seems very durable and problem free. I have a fine pix 2600 for a couple of years and son has a finepix 2650 both with 3x optical zoom and digital zoom. Go to the link for some great reviews on many many cameras. good luck

6. chibianh thread starter macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Thanks guys. The steve's digicams website is just what I was looking for. :)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://www.dpreview.com is a good one too.

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

The 'Canon PowerShot S2 IS' is coming out in June and it's a bit more affordable than iGary's suggestion. ;) From what I've learned so far, this looks like it might be the best "all-around" use camera for me... good for point and shoot simplicity, but enough manual control to have some fun experimenting:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

I'm seriously considering getting one, but am going to wait for a couple of professional reviews first. It replaces the PowerShot S1, which is also a good camera - except for some complaints about slow autofocus, and a crappy lens cap. In the U.S., Sears is selling the S1 for $249 which is a steal... but I'm holding out for the S2.

A quick summary of it's main features:

• 5 megapixel
    • 12x optical zoom (36mm - 432mm)
    • Image stabilization
    • Various shooting modes that include Shutter priority, Aperture priority and Manual mode
    • 2.4fps continuous shooting (take 2.4 full resolution pictures per second)
    • 640x480 video mode (can shoot very high quality video, and is only limited to the size of your SD memory card)

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Thanks, this one may stay for a bit. I like it, too.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So...mostly just out of vague curiosity... is the IS hardware in any of the P&S cameras any good? Can you really take images out at the 400mm equiv. end of the zoom on a camera like that without a tripod? This seems like a nice camera.

Also, FWIW, do beware of what you do and don't get. All of these cameras still have very small sensors and small actual focal length optics, like in point and shoots. Even the physically bigger ones like the PowerShot Pro 1 do.

11. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

dpreview.com

Try Dpreview IMHO is better that steve's digicams, check the small canons the ixus40, 50 or 700 (these are the european names they are called powershot shomething in the US)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the IXUS cams correspond to the PowerShot SDxxx range. But don't these place a high premium on size? In what way are they a step up in image quality / versatility from point and shoots (which I think is what the OP was asking for)? Ditto (well, actually, I already posted it up several replies ago, so technically it's not a ditto) on DPReview though.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For a good bargain, I would look at the C-8080 from Olympus. I was looking for a "point&shoot" with a bit more than simple, and bit less than my 10D. Only been using it for pictures of the baby boy Chewey, and shots around the house as I get ready for my move. Even DPR rated it as the top choice in the 8mp "pro-sumer" category.

14. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Canon Digital Rebel XT. The reviews have been great and the price is reasonable. You can get the body and a decent lense for around $750 online, which is about $250 cheaper than retail.

15. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

From a quick glance at the review, that looks like a nice camera... but I think if I had the money to spend on that (which I don't), I'd just save up the extra $150 - $200 and get a full-fledged DSLR like the Canon Digital Rebel XT or Nikon D50/D70.

Of course, it's easy to get caught up in spending just a little more to get something better... so I'm limiting myself to $500 (which happens to be what the Canon PowerShot S2 will retail for). :)

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

First be careful about buying on line. Prices like what you quoted are below what even the bigger camera stores pay.

The other item is, if you are looking for a good deal on a DSLR, the Olympus e-300 Evolt can be had for just $999 with two Olympus lenses.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have seen some posts on DPR and others that seem to indicate that you should be able to get the 8080 in the $500 to $600 range right now.

18. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Check out the Digital Rebel from Canon (6.3MP)..... I own one and love it.

19. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Where are you getting it from? Please dont buy from one of these online bait and switch shops. Check the company out at resellerratings.com first.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Amen, not for my working for a local dealer either!

Not to say that any local dealer can work - but I know from experience that we have been able to work with customers on rebate and warranty issues with the manufactures. In one case I know of, the manufacturer agreed to a total refund to the customer and us as the dealer.

In most cases I would suggest using B&H and Adorama as a guide of what the "true" costs might be. If it is a main stream item, their pricing is something that some dealers might match.

21. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

With my experience of Dabs, I wouldnt put it past them. :mad:

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes. sad, but true, that there are relatively few stores you can really trust in photography online. Many of the stores that come up as low bidder on a Froogle or My Simon search have ratings on the rating websites that are so low that they will make you want to give Buy.com a medal! :eek:

23. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Yeah, you're right. I checked on Pricegrabber and it looks like a few reputable dealers have it for around $550. I'll have to give that camera a thorough look to see if I like it better than the S2.

24. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193