Looking for a new game

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Mar 27, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yup, I'm looking for a new game to add to my collection. Now I'm debating over 4 games, 2 for my Xbox, 2 for my trusty iBook. Here are the games: Close Combat: First to Fight for Xbox (this game looks great), Brothers in Arms for Xbox (this looks amazing), Command and Conquer Generals for my iBook (one of my favorite strategy games), or Battlefield 1942 for my iBook. I could use a new strategy game and I got the settings on the demo to run well on my iBook, so C & C Generals is a good option. I like the Bf1942 demo, great multiplayer, so BF1942 is a good option. I've never played Brother in Arms or Modern Combat: First to Fight, but they both look great. So I'd apperciate your opinions.

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

If you are looking for a strategy game, do not get Command & Conquer for an iBook. It tends to get slow when there are a lot of units on screen... And as the game gets morre intense, it gets really slow. Not choppy, but SLOWWW! This happens to me, even with my G5 (see my system specs below).

Buy BF1942, or if you want a good strategy, consider buying Homeworld 2 or Warcraft 3 Frozen throne!

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Age of Mythology is a good strategy game too!

5. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the warning about C & C. As for Warcraft, it seems like a cool game but it's not on my purchase list. As for AoM, I have it and love it.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I highly recommend waiting a few days for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. That game will own all stealth games. I can't wait to get it.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Brothers in Arms sure got a lot of hype, and it seemed to do decently (89% according to GameRankings.com).

Close Combat looks pretty good from the videos I've seen on IMG (since there is a Mac port, doubt your iBook could handle it, but you were interested in the X-Box version anyway). Doesn't seem too realistic (as in not too much like a Tom Clancy game), but still looks like fun.

BF1942 definitely has its moments in MP. And there's a few good mods.

C&C doesn't sound perfect. I hear the retail version does get quite intense, so the demo is nothing.

Hmmm... Well, it really comes down to do you want another WWII shooter or modern combat game? Close Combat and BF1942 (with mods) accomplish the latter, while Brothers in Arms and BF1942 accomplish the previous.

8. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that's the thing. My last three game purchases have been WWII games (CoD: UO, MoH: Breakthrough and CoD: Finest hour). But both Brothers in Arms and BF1942 both look good. But if BF1942 has some good mods...or as JzzTrump22 mentioned Chaos Theory. That game looks kick ass. Would I need to play the first two to understand the third? I've never play Splinter Cell before.

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

You don't have to. I'm sure you could just find somewhere to read up on all the events that took place in the first 2 games. I played through both of them. Thats why i'm so psyched for this next one. Especially with the coop mode. I mean, it's insane how they let the spy's use eachothers modies to rapel on walls. I can;t wait, the second the store opens, i'll be there with my $50.

10. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I downloaded two trailers. Looks good. That might be the game I purchase.

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Awsome. Make sure you see the coop trailer, it will blow your mind!