Looking for a new mac..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolocity, Jun 25, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Well, I'm making the switch to the mac, and I'm doing it for one main reason - video editing. So far I think that the iMac seems to be the best price:function ratio out of them all, but I'm wondering what you guys think. I know a lot of things will improve after the expo, but I'm trying to get a feel of what's out there. What are the main things I would look for in a machine that would be ideal for video editing (via firewire)? Also, does anyone know of video editing software better than iMovie or Final Cut pro?

Thanks,

- John

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

First off, do u allready have a monitor?
    If you do then an entry level tower would be far better than an iMac.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well Final Cut Pro is better than iMovie. FCP is pro grade, this is what they use to make movies! It does not get any better the FCP! IF you want to do lots of editing you need a tower, and 2 moniters. Good luck thx for converting!

4. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Well, no, I don't have a monitor yet. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just enough to edit some tapes, add a few effects, and dump em back to the camera. Not making movies yet, we'll see how the public access show goes first!

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get a Tower Mac with a L3 cache, it'll help with what you're thinking of doing.

Even if you don't have a monitor, you should be able to find a passable new/used VGA monitor for a decent (ie cheap) price.

Just make sure you get a manual or can download one so you know what resolutions and scan rates should be used with the monitor.

---

The tower also has internal upgrade options the iMac/eMac lack, including the possibility of CPU upgrades down the road.

---

Look hard and long at Macs with L3 caches when there is possibility of a lot of video/graphics editing in your future.

6. job macrumors 68040

job

You can get 19" monitors for about $100 now. So combine that with a tidy tower and you have your video machine.

7. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I would say that Final Cut Pro is the best video software out but I always hear about the Avid System. I've tried Avid before..... like in the 90's... and it seemed more complicated than FCP.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I forgot to mention the tower has better expandability when it comes to multi-monitor support.

With some of these graphics/video editing packages, multiple monitors make life MUCH easier.

9. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks a lot for all the help. I can't wait to enjoy my new mac :D

- John