Looking for a printer

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by fix766, Jan 9, 2003.

1. fix766 macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2003
    I have an ancient PowerMac 5400/120. OS 8.5, 32 mb and an eternnet card. No UB ports
    Does anyone know what type of printer (refurbished) I can hook up. Black and white
    is fine because my kids just use it for school work.
    I cannot get a straight answer from any of the places I have researched and
    Apple never answers.
  2. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    There are plenty of printers to choose from colour and black and white. I have a StyleWriter 2500 and the BC21e cartdrige doens't last long (it has a tendancy to print lines). If you buy a StyleWriter and insert a Black only cartridge, they last for a while and they are refillable.

You could get a good Epson printer like the 850 (I think) that prints good quality colour and has Serial and USB ports (if you upgrade to a newer mac). If you have the money you could buy a Laser Printer with an ethernet card and connect that to you mac.

Things to avoid are very old printers (etc HP DeskWriter, ImageWriter) because they usually had a long life and their mechanical functions don't work to well (Our school has a heap of HP DeskWriters which don't work).

Any Semi old printer will do that has a serial port since all you want to do is buy a printer that can print black and white. Buy one that is cheap to run and that has ink cartridges that are refillable. It's hard to point you to the correct printer because there are no new Serial port printers and a very large range of semi-old printers.

Another option is to buy any OHCI compliant PCI USB card and insert that into your computer but if the Ethernet card takes up that PCI slot, you would have to take it out (Unless it occupies the Comm. Slot)

Most people will tell you to get an epson.
  3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    My father used to use an Epson Photo 700 with his System 7 computer for a long while (that is, until he upgraded his computer years later :)). He was quite happy with his print outs, for the most part.

I searched through the muck (meaning, I'm on 56K and I keep getting either disconnected or I cannot go to a site upon connection) and found a dirt cheap Photo 700 following this link: