looking for a review of 1.25g g4 mirrored doors model?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andyjamesnelson, Aug 26, 2003.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

has anyone seen a review of this model? one of the new ones that can boot into os 9. my insurance company is replacing me old 733 with this one and i,m intrested in knowing what people generally thought of this model? note this is only the single processer version, for some reason i can only find reveiws of the dp model..! anyway if you can help me out please do :)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

they would have done better to simply upgrade the 733 to say a single 1.25 or 1.4 rather then a new machine but apple will be happy. i have not seen a review but it will pretty much be the same as any mdd except a pinch slower then the duals depending on app. enjoy

3. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

why would have been better to upgrade the 733? it was ****ed and this is a much better computer by far, not only the speed but the memory speed the size of the HD, the graphics card and the systen buss? carnt see any reason why it would have been bettter to upgrade the 733? except maybe i have heard that these bad bot are nicknamed wind tunnels????

4. synthetickittie macrumors regular

I think he just meant that how much your company is going to be spending to buy the new computer is probably not going to be worth it for the little ACTUAL performance difference between upgrading only the processor to a 1.4 compared to how much a entire new computer costs. Even tho all those things are better that you mentioned the real world performance will not be that much greater but the money being spent to buy entire new computer is a lot more.

5. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I've been considering the same machine and all the reviews I've found have been for the duals as well.

As for the "windtunnel"...I called Apple and they said that the noise issue has been corrected in the ones that are shipping now.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

thank you, you said it for me.

7. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

what are you guys saying that there will be little performance difference between an old 733 and a new 1.25, man i find that hard believe! surely the 1.25 g4 is a much fatter computer? or what was the point in apple upgrading the g4? the 1.25 model is like the 3rd generation of the g4 and alot changed within its architecture! so surely there is alot of differenece between these two machine???

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

no, what we are saying is there will be little performance difference between an upgraded 733 to say a 1.25 and a new 1.25. also now you have start over with ddr memory! so say a new cpu is 500 bucks, a new machine is what $1300 and you have buy new memory. so 500 bucks vs 1500 for about the same performance? its was a no brainer for me but if you dont think so see ea sales dot com(owc) for bench marks that prove this point. the powermac g4 is a good deal unless you allready own a g4 in which case move it up with upgrades.

9. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

ok ok, but i think your getting the wrong end of the stick..maybe i didnt really make this clear, but me old 733 is getting replaced becasue it is dead.. no way to upgrade it! its dead. so like they have to replace me computer because its insured for accidental damge. yes i killed it by accident :( i actually really like me old 733. but its dead now. R.i.p, so what i,m asking is how much better will a new 1.25 be over the 733? doesnt the ddr ram make a big difference? and what is the bus speed of the new mdd versions? i,m hopping that this new replacement will squash my desire for a g5! you see beforei only had a dying 733 and now i have a brand new 1.25 (well at least i will when it arrives), so like i hope its really a big improvement so that i feel happy without a g5! and then me money can go on a laptop:)

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

hate to ask but how did you kill it,and is it dead for good? anyways a 1.25 will be faster and really noticable when your playing games, playing with photo's movies or whatever.

11. andyjamesnelson thread starter macrumors 6502

well it died after leaving the drive slot open i walked into it. the whole drive bent sideways. totally jammed, i couldnt moved it all. the insurance company deemed it as unrepairable, i rang apple and they said it would cost like 600 to 700 pounds to replace the drive, i guess the insurance company thought they may aswell just replace the whole computer, and they said that they can buy the computers at a much lower trade price! anyway i really want to know the actuall benifits of ddr ram? and is it the actuall ram itself or is it just the ram slots which are faster? and how much better is the system buss on the mdd version ?

12. AngryAngel macrumors regular

did the insurance company take away the old G4?

If not, it is worth a lot on eBay- it just needs a new optical drive.