Looking for a Router/802.11g/Switch/Firewall solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edesignuk, Dec 5, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm currently running a Linksys router/4 port 10/100 switch to share my broadband cable and provide a little security (NAT), but I'm starting to get a little nervous especially after reading stuff like this (I have a few Windows boxes on my LAN). I'd like to replace this with something that has the following features if possible in one box:

Router
    4 Port 10/100 switch (or more)
    Hardware Firewall
    and if possible 802.11G

Linksys do products that offer 3 of the 4 features I'm after, but not all 4 in one solution as far as I can see.

I'm gonna carry on searching for myself, but just thought I'd ask in case anyone had any immediate recommendations.

2. atif.muhammad macrumors member

your router has a hardware firewall, an at least 4 ethernet ports and get a wireless router.
    that'll solve your problem

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My router doesn't have a hardware firewall.

edit: oh, and your post makes little sense :rolleyes:

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

"Requested Document not found"

OOC, what 3 features are you seeing on Linksys routers?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How about the Netgear WGR614? It has four wired ports which are 10/100, it has a hardware firewall, which I have to admit I haven't played that much with, and it has WPA pre-shared key. And it's available, at least here in the US, very affordably. Hopefully also over there.

I've been very satisfied with it -- in fact, I wish I'd bought another one in place of the AEBS I have, and gotten an ethernet laser printer instead of using my AEBS as a gateway for my USB inkjet....

EDIT: Link me, baby! :p

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry, link fixed.

The BEFSX41 has the router, the 4 port switch, and firewall, but no wireless. The WRT54G has the router, 4 port switch, and 802.11g, but no firewall.

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That looks good :cool: Only £54.99 on ebuyer.co.uk :D

How was the setup, how do you configure it? Is it through a web interface (like linksys).

How's the wireless signal vs your AEBS?

Thanks!

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's for ADSL, I'm on cable (Telewest Blueyonder - Motorola SB3100 Cable Modem via Ethernet).

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, it has very good web-based configuration. It has some neat options too, like sending you a log of all the web traffic that goes through its wireless channels, by e-mail, on a daily/weekly/xxx basis.

My rough experience is that the AEBS seems to put out a slightly stronger signal. But I seem to get good range and through-wall performance with the netgear. My parents have a fairly spread-out 4 bedroom house and it works everywhere in their home with my iBook.

Oooh, I'm sorry for your UK prices...I think I paid about $30 for mine after rebates! :rolleyes:

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've decided to just go for the Linksys BEFSX41 (router/switch/firewall) for now. I don't need wireless at the moment, and I suppose I can always add a wireless access point when the time comes, also this way I can get what ever the fastest wireless standard is at the time.

12. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

are you sure? I have the WRT54G, and I'm very sure it does have a firewall. it has the control panel page for it at least, and when I first got it, I ran a port scan and got a fully closed result.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. It's not the world's most configurable firewall, but it's pretty decent. I just don't think it's as powerful as edesignuk wants.

14. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

um, the WRT54G does have a firewall on it. you can also go to linksysinfo.org and download a more powerfull firewall for the firmware if you want. its what i use and it is great. the only reason i think you might want more powerful security would be if you had a static IP and were hosting a web-site and had no firewalls turned on to the computers on the network.

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Netgear

mkrishnan
    Oh my, I wish I had your luck with that router :mad: it has given me headaches. It may just be the unit it self but I'm taking it back in the a.m.
    My pages don't load right on 3 diff. browsers and had my friend helped me out (works for Apple) and he tried everything :confused: it worked for 4 hrs. today then had grief the rest of today :(
    I had a thread on this router yesterday night. Brand new ibook and no wireless :cool: Getting airport express cross my fingers :rolleyes:

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, good info. Sorry you're having so much trouble. I've configured it using IE 6.x on PCs and Firefox and Safari on PCs without trouble. It's very strange that you had four good hours then problems. It sounds like your router is getting kicked off the connection to the WAN, or is giving up its DHCP lease and then failing to get a new one. I doubt another brand router would help with either, but hopefully whatever you try works out!

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The firewall on the BEFSX41 is listed in the description of the router along with details about what exactly it is, it's not in the WRT54G. The WRT54G probably offers some sort of firewall, but I think the firewall on the BEFSX41 will be better.