Looking for a small camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by javabear90, Apr 10, 2006.

1. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I am going on a long (14 day) backpacking trip in Colorado soon and numerous skiing trips later and and will be traveling a lot this summer. I have a D200 and D70 and a whole bunch of lenses, however it is very heavy and bulky. I need a small camera that takes very good photos. It needs to be small, durable, good battery life, and have good image quality. I don't care about ease of use as I am very good with cameras. I wouldn't also mind manual controls. I really liked my A80, however would like a bit more quality out of it. What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
    -Ted

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why not a Canon G6. I have an A80 also. G6 appears to be a much improved A80

The Olympus top-line point and shoots have always been about the best . The Oly sp350 even has a hot shoe and the price is not bad either.

That said I would still recommend taking an SLR. I've taken an SRL on backpacking trips since the 1970's. Some of my best shoots ever where on a two week trip over some glasciers in Canada. and in the Yosemite backcountry. I'm a bit nuts and will take a stobe, tripos and a pair of lens The best camera really is a manual film camera something that will work even with the batteries removed. You can buy these dirt cheap now. Film will give you beter quality is ultra reliable and costs less. A nikromat and a 50mm lens and you are set would cost under $200 for EX+ setup.

If you are just doing on-trial backpacking and you are not climbing or on skis you can afford the wieght and bulk