Looking for a solid serif typeface

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by eyeon, Jul 11, 2006.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Hi there.

My company is about to begin developing a full-color glossy print magazine, and as we gear up for that I am realizing that we need a good solid body text typeface to purchase and stick with for all things relative to our identity. I would a font family that is/includes:
    solid
    readable
    Open Type
    Old Style (with hanging number figures)
    small caps
    good kerning that I wouldn't ever have to manually adjust
    and obviously the basic italic, bold, bold italic, etc...

The trouble is that there are about 17 million fonts out there and I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone point me in a direction? Anyone have any good type foundry recommendations? And specific typeface recommendations?

Also, I've found that some fonts that I have on my system include glyphs that can act as hanging old style numbers and such (a good example is Adobe Minion Pro) -- so how do I use those without having to manually insert all the standard numbers with an oldstyle glyph? Is there a way?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

If you are using Open Type (which you want to), in InDesign, under the flay out menu of the Character Palette, go to OpenType submenu and pick Proportional Oldstyle from the list. That should give you the look you are asking off.